Chapter 10 - The Man From The Cradle

☾𖧷☽

Alyssa leaned against the table, watching as her father, Bruce, and Clint observed the Cradle

She had an awkward flight back home with Clint, who didn't talk once. Alyssa knew he was upset about Nat. She was too.

So when they finally arrived back at the tower, she wasn't surprised that Clint immediately took on the task of finding out where Ultron had taken her.

After he had left, Alyssa zoned out until she perked up at a quarrel between Bruce and Tony.

"...You have to trust me." said Tony.

"Kind of don't." Bruce answered.

"What's going on?" Alyssa asked, her arms crossed.

The men ignored her, circling the Cradle as Tony activated JARVIS.

"Our ally? the guy protecting the military's nuclear codes? I found him." he said, pointing at the hologram. "Ultron didn't go after JARVIS because he was angry. He attacked him because he was scared of what he can do. So JARVIS went underground. Scattered, dumped his memory. But not his protocols. He didn't even know he was in there until I pieced him together."

"Dad, you can't seriously be saying you want to-" Alyssa was cut off by Bruce, who said quietly; "You, want me to help you put JARVIS into this thing?"

Alyssa scoffed.

What's with people ignoring me today?

"No! Of course not. I wanna help you put JARVIS in this thing." replied Tony.

Bruce shook his head, pacing around the cradle, listening to Tony try and convince him.

Alyssa just rubbed her temples and said nothing. She knew that in the position she and Tony were in that she could do nothing to stop him.

"It's not a loop, Banner. It's the end of the line."

Nat slowly stirred, lifting her head when a voice rang out.

"I wasn't sure you would wake up. I hoped you would. I wanted to show you. I don't have anyone else." Ultron said, his voice echoing in the dark caves of his station.

Nat groaned as she tried to sit up and Ultron continued.

"I think a lot about meteors. The purity in them. Boom! The end. Start again. The world made clean for the new man to rebuild. I was meant to be new. I was meant to be beautiful. The world would have looked to the sky and seen hope, seen mercy. Instead, they'll look up in horror because of you. You've wounded me. I give you full marks for that." he said, taking heavy steps toward Nat.

"But, like the man said, what doesn't kill me, just makes me stronger." Ultron finished as he pulled the cage doors closed, his red, menacing eyes being the last thing Natasha sees.