𝟎𝟎𝟏 You're on Your Own, Kid

Guts.

CHAPTER ONE , YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN, KID

a/n : reese is cold-hearted and I love that. hopefully you guys love it too 👀

*this chapter contains racism*

━━━━━━━━━━

Reese Evans didn't think her life could get any worse. Her mom died, and her dad put so much blame on her that it was to the point that he started beating her. Reese doesn't remember the first time her dad hit her, but she remembers when he started verbally abusing her. That's when she recognized the sign of her life turning for the worse. Isn't that weird? Her dad telling her she was a shitty daughter because she spilled her orange juice was what told her that her life was only going to get worse; not her mom dying. Her dad really fucked her up.

Reese slams her heel against the rotting corpse's skull, caving it in. The growling abruptly stops and Reese looks at her black van that was soaked in blood. She lifts her foot from the Walker's skull and sputters her lips. Reese looks around the highway that had abandoned cars littered across it. Her eyes land on the hundreds of buildings in the distance. She grabs the map from her back pocket and unfolds it. Her eyes skim across the black marker traced across the paper. There was a circle around the city of Atlanta.

Reese swipes her tongue across the deep cut of her lower lip. She looks down at her sneaker and scrapes it against the road. She stretches her legs, readying herself for the long walk she had ahead of her. Reese has grown to love walking. After all, that's the only way she could travel. Reese starts down the freeway and she tucks the map back into her pocket. She flicks her hood onto her head.

Reese didn't know if this was going to be a for sure lead or not. This wasn't even her map. She snagged off of a family after they gave her some food out of the kindness of their hearts.

It was kind of them, really. But Reese doesn't care about kind. She just wanted whatever could've been useful to her.

After a few hours of walking toward the hundreds of towers, it started getting dark. She knew what to do when the sun set. Reese pulls her machete from her waist holster. She cautiously makes her way over to one of the abandoned cars. Reese lightly taps the blade of her machete against one of the windows. The teenager waits for a few moments, she leans against the car and sputters her lips.

Reese receives no sound from the car. She hooks a finger under the door handle and slowly pulls on it, while quietly praying. The door opens with a click and Reese chuckles. Reese pulls open the door and peeks her head into the vehicle. She inspects the front seats and then the back seats. There was no sign of any rotting corpses. Active or dormant.