Chapter 9: A Fallen Prince

Dusk had begun to fall as we reached the top of yet another jagged peak. As we wound around the trail that worked up to a plateau overlooking a cliff, Thorin lifted his hand from the front of the pack, gesturing for us to come to a halt.

"We camp here." He said loudly, dismounting from his pony.

The others began to dismount as well and I followed suit, jumping from the back of my pony and landing with ease on the soft grass. I stroked Rosie's nose and offered her a small carrot I'd gotten from Bombur earlier in the afternoon.

"Good girl." I said quietly. "It's been a long day, hasn't it?"

My eyes landed on Bilbo a few feet away. He jumped down from the back of his own pony and sneezed in the same motion, nearly causing him to lose his footing in the process. He pulled the scrap of Bofur's shirt he'd been given as a handkerchief from his jacket and wiped his nose with it. Though my bet with Kili and Fili suggested otherwise, I'd been shocked when Bilbo had actually shown up. Of course I'd been hopeful he would find it within himself to tag along, but part of me was still surprised he'd decided to join.

"Are you doing alright?" I called over to him.

He nodded unconvincingly as he looked at the shirt scrap in his hand. Despite his reassurances to us all that he was fine, I could tell he was very much out of his element.

"This will be the farthest I've ever been from the Shire, you know." He said instead, not answering my question as to his well-being.

I didn't press it.

"This is the farthest I've been from home as well." I reciprocated. "This world is still very strange to me. I know how it is to feel so out of place."

He seemed surprised.

"Well, yes. But you, you're built for this." He gestured to me, then to himself. "I'm. Well. Look at me."

I offered a sympathetic smile as I stepped closer to him, resting a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

"Don't underestimate yourself, Bilbo. I think you have more to offer than you know."

Bilbo returned a grateful smile. Aside from Gandalf and myself, the dwarves had not made much of an effort to speak to him. I didn't think it was a lack of manners or care; it seemed they did not know what to say. I wondered as to the relations of dwarves and hobbits. It seemed that many groups in Middle Earth kept to themselves. Hobbits were certainly wary of outsiders, and from Thorin's coldness to me initially it seemed dwarves were as well. Perhaps it was lack of experience over unkindness. Before either of us had the chance to speak again, Thorin approached with orders for the evening preparations.

"Lilith, take Fili and go find some wood for the fire. Kili, secure the ponies." He stopped, looking down at the hobbit between us. "Bilbo...go help with dinner." He finished uncertainly.

I nodded and Bilbo and I exchanged goodbyes as he scurried away. I pivoted around on my heel, looking through the crowd of dwarves to find the brother I was to work with.

Fili stood with Kili a few yards away. I was too far to hear the words being exchanged, but they appeared to be speaking intently about something. Kili was gesturing, pointing backward in my direction and then to Fili. Fili grinned, he shook his head and crossed his arms over his chest. Whatever was being said, it appeared that Kili was not as amused as his brother was. He scowled, and his gesturing became more frantic. As I drew closer I saw Fili nod, seeming to relent to whatever it was his brother was saying. He drew two small axes from somewhere in his coat and handed them both to Kili. Finally a grin broke across his face. I heard him utter something I could not make out as he turned around and jogged over to meet me halfway.