VII

We stayed at Daisy's home for four days (which was both good and bad) and then Uncle Felix announced one morning that we would be going to the circus and staying in a hotel nearby for two nights.

"Three days!" exclaimed Daisy furiously. "Why, there shan't be enough time to solve a mystery!"

"Daisy, there might not be a mystery." I said slowly. "Not everything is a mystery."

"But I want a mystery!" cried Daisy like a child. "Just a little one! A theft! Please?"

She was saying it like I would be responsible for the theft, so I shook my head. "Daisy, I'm not planning a theft for you to solve!"

Daisy stuck her tongue out at me. "Spoilsport, Hazel!" she sang.

"Daisy, Hazel!" exclaimed Lavinia, running madly into the dining room, where we were sat. "Felix is getting impatient. You better hurry."

"Of course." said Daisy, standing up and smoothing down her silky red dress. She undid and redid her sash, irritated, and then looked quite happy.

For once, I was satisfied with my dress, a white, knee-length outfit that reached my knees. It had a small bow on the waist. Daisy had persuaded Uncle Felix to get Lavinia and I new dresses, which I thought was very kind of her, although Lavinia did not like her long, ankle-length dress.

I nodded, and me and Daisy walked, dignified, to the door (Lavinia trudging along in front of us).

"Hello, girls!" he greeted us, as if he hadn't seen us only an hour ago. 

"Did you pack our things?" I asked anxiously.

"Oh, yes, I packed all of your belongings." Uncle Felix nodded. "Oh, except for you, Hazel. I didn't bring that homework book of your's."

Daisy and I exchanged glances. What Uncle Felix was referring to as my 'homework book' was actually the casebook that you are reading right now.

"My homework book?" I repeated.

"Yes." Uncle Felix looked confused. "Why, is there a problem? I didn't think that you would need it until you go back to Deepdean and we really must be going."

"Oh, no, no problem at all." I shook my head. "I just wasn't sure what you had said."

"Okay, come on, let's be off." said Uncle Felix, opening the car door. "I think we just have enough room to squeeze Lavinia in. Or I suppose if the situation is really desperate, we could leave Daisy behind."

"You would never dare to leave me, the Honourable Daisy Wells, behind." said Daisy 'snobbishly',  her eyes twinkling.

"We will see about that." said Uncle Felix, beginning to drive. Daisy tutted and rolled her eyes.

"When does the show start?" I asked, trying to start a conversation.

"Not until 11." said Uncle Felix. "I thought that we should check into our hotel room first. Rooms, I mean."

"Who is sharing with who?" asked Lavinia.

"You are sharing with Hazel, and I am sharing with Daisy." Uncle Felix explained.

"I don't want to share with you!" whined Daisy. 

"Well, you are my relative, and the other options were far too expensive." Uncle Felix explained patiently.

"I could have payed!" cried Daisy. "I am utterly rich!"

"Daisy!" I hissed crossly. Lavinia was in the car, and she was utterly poor. It didn't seem polite to talk about your money in front of somebody without much money.