An Unlikely Friendship

,,It wasn't supposed to end like this!"

******

Lloyd didn't say a word as he was glued to his spot in fear. His breathing wavered as his thoughts raced.

Who was with him?

Why were they-

Were they going to-

Lloyd took a sharp inhale as he turned around quickly. He definitely wasn't going to let himself get killed from behind by some-

Big.

Violet.

Red-eyed.

Snake.

He once again froze in his movements, this time staring at the serpentine standing before him. There was tense silence as the boy and the snake stared at each other. Lloyd realized that the serpentine was not out to kill him, not now at least.

Lloyd took deep breaths as he tried to relax. Okay, he had to look as confident as possible, he needed to make a good first impression of himself. He didn't want to appear as a kiddo who was easily scared, that's for sure.

His eyes twitched as he remembered the taunts of his classmates.

Scaredy cat.

Wuss.

Crybaby.

Lloyd clenched his hands as he looked up to the violet serpent again, who curiously raised a brow (Was it a brow? Lloyd wasn't sure if it was the right term, but stuck with it).

,,I... came here looking for the Anacondrai."

The serpentine shook its head slightly and let out a sigh. ,,I'm afraid I'm the only one left, little boy. The others weren't so... fortunate."

Lloyd furrowed his eyebrows. ,,How come?"

,,They didn't have much to eat. The desert isn't so merciful when it comes to food, little one." The snake replied with a pitying tone.

So, they died out of starvation, huh. All except for this one guy. Something wasn't adding up. It was time to get bold with some obscure knowledge. Lloyd knew pretty well what happened and felt pretty unnerved, but shoved the nervousness aside and crossed his arms, willing to force the information out of the snake.

,,You're sure you just didn't eat the others?"

The violet serpentine was caught off guard with the question.

,,I- what? Please, why would I do something so-"

Lloyd was quick to interrupt. ,,I know what people can do when they're desperate. You don't have to lie to me."

The snake stared at boy with wide eyes before they narrowed.

,,Alright, you caught me. I'm surprised with your... knowledge of such things. And here I thought you were just a little innocent human child." The serpentine drawled as it leaned closer to Lloyd, who let out a small laugh.

,,Trust me, I know more than that. What I don't know though, is your name..."

The serpent quickly backed off and nodded. ,,Ah yes, how rude of me. I am Pythor P. Chumsworth." He stated proudly with his head held high before looking down at Lloyd. ,,And you are...?"

Lloyd was quiet for a few moments before replying. ,,Call me Jade."

Pythor looked at him with a slightly skeptical look. ,,Jade... What an elusive name, but I'm getting the feeling that the name is not true to you."