Prologue: A Haze Of Bullets And Blood

First Floor Corridor, The Gainsborough Estate, Taernsby, Rhode Island, USA...

   Gut-wrenching fear coursed through the tightly wound belly of a slow-breathing young woman with wild shoulder-length brown locks and an expression of outright fear coursing through her veins. She was trembling from head to toe despite being crouched as low as she could manage with her feet, calves, and thighs cramping from the awkward position she'd been in since she had fallen out of bed and slowly began to make her way through what had once been her family's grand estate in Rhode Island.

The Gainsborough family were a staple of Taernsby for years as many a visitor and tourist alike had ventured toward their idyllic estate for years learning of the grand history of the most influential family in town and their various contributions to the town either by way of finance or their individual projects and talents that gave back to the community.

The young woman, who had only been sixteen years of age at the time her life had taken a drastic turn for the worst it seemed, was still huddled amid the darkness of the corridor on the first floor of her family home. There were quite a few gunshots that rang out despite them being mostly muffled with some sort of device to keep the awareness of the other victims being claimed within the large household.

Her name was Oliva, Olivia Ashley Gainsborough and she was the next in line to inherit her father's vast multibillion-dollar fortune when she came of age and if and when his lavish and profitable life had come to an abrupt or well-earned end.

She had been a beautiful lass, with long brown hair and blue eyes that had been fixated on the floor as she moved about huddled in her afternoon dress, of black and white make as she attempted to make sense of what her sad and frightened eyes had seen before her in the form of one of her father's most diligent servants being dead at her feet, a pool of thick crimson surrounding his well-dressed corpse as a look of outright terror seemed to have been etched across his aged face.

The youngest lady of the manor had been about to scream when she had the presence of mind to catch herself, placing a swift trembling hand over her mouth as she looked back down at the body of her dearest friend amid the hallowed halls of her family manor.

One by one, a lone man in large shiny black dress shoes and clutching a smoking silver barreled gun, moved about the place room by room, no matter their size or function, he swiftly put an end to any and all opposition in the wake of his arrival, a stealthy means of eliminating all his chosen targets as he walked slowly along the darkened corridor.

He had been a rather large man, given his massive shoulders barely being concealed by the custom-made black Italian suit and shiny black loafers he'd worn. He also wore a black watch with silver hands on his right wrist and a pair of dark black sunglasses that seemed to be something a cop would wear when one looked at the ironic situation at hand. The armed and fancy-dressed stranger had a rather neat goatee and stubble covering his impressive jawline and long dark hair that came to just the end of his neck and kissed the tips of his massively broad shoulders.

He seemed to be in his element, which had been quite a big deal when compared to the young woman trying her absolute best to avoid the brute of a man as he stalked the corridors looking for more people to put bullets in. She'd been well on her way toward the main door with the murderous brute's back turned when she accidentally stumbled onto the corpse of her own father, shot to death by way of a headshot courtesy of the fancy-dressed brute that stalked her home and saw fit to put an end to everyone who crossed his path in rapid succession.

She had been far too late to hold back the scream as she met the lifeless eyes of her only father, the man who had owned the house and the fortune she'd be the one to inherit now that he'd been gone. Tears streamed down her pale supple cheeks as she tried her best to get control of her emotions in the wake of seeing her father's lifeless body with a pool of crimson surrounding him. Olivia looked down at her hands, shaken even more by what she saw as noted the blood had covered her hands and her attire as she scrambled to get as far away from the blood pool as possible.

Her scrambling and subsequent scream when she noticed the body had not gone unnoticed as the same man from before, standing at a towering height with his shiny fancy shoes coming into contact with her hand as she moved not having a care in the world as to whom had been behind her once she stopped in her tracks.

"There you are." said a gruff deep baritone drawl that made her hair stand on end and her blood run cold as her bladder threatened to give way in the wake of her newfound terror.

The large brute in fancy attire smirked rather wickedly and grabbed her by the arm, pulling her off the floor and toward him as he aimed the gun he carried, which she could see up close had been fitted with a silencer, at her head. She gasped in shock and froze due to fear as his rough calloused hand grazed the flesh of her exposed arm and he pulled her toward the exit.

Olivia attempted to fight with all the strength and will she had but it was to no avail, all she managed to do was upset the murderous brute who had pulled her along to note more of the bodies that littered the first floor of the estate's manor and she gasped in horror as more tears streamed down her pale supple cheeks.

"YOU KILLED THEM!" shouted Olivia visibly upset. "YOU MONSTER, YOU BRUTE YOU'VE KILLED EVERYONE I HAVE EVER LOVED!, YOU KILLED MY FAMILY!"

The large gun-carrying brute in the fancy suit had been annoyed by her talking and unceremoniously shoved her into a nearby wall wrapping his free hand around her young lovely throat causing her to gasp and struggle against the power of his fingers crushing her windpipe as more tears flowed down her cheeks.

"Shut the fuck up or I'll do you right here and now just like the rest of them, blow your brains out of your pretty little head and all over the wall as they splatter along your pretty little dress." said the brute in a low tone. "You are gonna be a good little girl and shut the fuck up and do as I say, or I'll add to my new collection quick fast, and in a hurry, do we have an understanding?"

Slowly the brute backed off as she nodded her agreement with his terms knowing full well that they were nonnegotiable and he'd sooner put a bullet through her skull than contend with her about them. She gasped as he released her to attempt to catch her breath before he pulled her close to him and pushed her out the front door to the manor and headed toward the grounds.

She thought about running, about screaming for help, but she knew there wouldn't be anyone for miles due to how vast the wealthy measure of property had been. Olivia seemed to resign herself to her fate as she was escorted to the back of a strange-looking black car and unceremoniously shoved into the trunk after being struck on the back of the head when she even looked like she was going to put up a means of protest.

The murderous brute stuffed her into the truck with some effort and proceeded to climb into the driver's side before pulling out of the driveway and onto the main road, he'd done what he'd been paid to do as far as his latest gig had gone and as he drove he thought briefly of how the involuntarily slumbering heiress would take the news that she'd been all his once she awoke.

Life as she knew it would never be the same, and she had been none the wiser about it.