Chapter 29

Kell's POV

All my life I was living in fear. I was born to take orders... but not just from someone else... but, from my mother and father, who were always away for their work.

As someone who grew up in a family of politicians, I was expected to follow the footsteps of my grandfather, who once served as the President of the country, and now my father, who would soon be running for the same position, in hopes of sitting on the highest chair reserved in the nation.

I was a child, who wanted nothing but attention and love from his parents. But, I never felt such thing.

Our mansion with four master bedrooms, three guest rooms, two maid's rooms, theater room, arcade room and huge courtyard was never filled with laughters or voices, which one would expect.

My childhood was spent sitting by myself in the middle of my own room, reading books and playing instruments. I grew up being friends with our helpers because they were the ones present in the mansion.

Even when my younger sister was born, I never really spent much time with her because mom forced her to study in the States to have a "better education and quality of life."

The only time I got to truly feel that I had someone was when I met my friends in school, who later on became my best friends for life.

And of course, when my parents heard about my friends, they had to investigate each one of them and made sure that they came from prominent families. Luckily, Logan's dad was in the military force and his mom was a psychiatrist. André's father was still a mystery, but was rumored to be a mafia. And Koleen's father was our family's resident doctor, hence how I met her.

I never intended to disobey my parents.

It was deeply ingrained in my mind that if I didn't follow orders, I would be punished... severely.

That's why when they told me that I would be in an arranged marriage, I didn't protest. I was prepared to be in such set-up from the very beginning.

So, when I met this girl offering me her handkerchief during a scholarship event in the province, I never thought my life would turn upside down...

Fina was such a simple girl with simple dreams... to give her family the kind of life they'd always been longing for.

She could be loud and chatty at times, but her voice was the one that filled the silence in my heart.

Her smile and positive energy sucked the loneliness out of me.

And her overall existence made me believe that I wasn't just born to follow orders from my parents... but rather, I was born to love her.

"Did you really think your father and I wouldn't find out that you're dating your Lolo's helper? Are you out of your mind, Ellis?" Mom stormed inside my room that one night I visited the mansion. She just got back from States after visiting my sister, and now, she was in rage that I lied to her when she first saw me with Fina.

I stopped flipping the page of the heavy book I was reading. I was already done memorizing half of this Persons and Family Relations Law book when mom decided to lecture me yet again.

"And you really had to lie to my face that nothing was going on with you and that girl?"

I took a breath, standing up from my seat to face her. "I'm sorry, mom."

"That's it? You're sorry? And what do you expect to happen? That I will support your relationship with someone who came from God knows where..." she paused, massaging her temple.

"I love her, mom," I confessed, not really hoping for her to change her mind. I just wanted to let her know that I was in love with that woman she was insulting.