41

I could feel the seconds tick by, the silence pulling my senses down

I could feel the seconds tick by, the silence pulling my senses down. My mind was so hazy, I felt myself sway a little, on the verge of collapsing. 

Arles fidgeted with the ring in his hold. He was having a battle with himself, I could feel it. 

 He glanced down at me, his eyes held a vulnerability that mirrored my own. I wanted nothing but to curl up into a ball, and surrender to the tears that threatened to spill from my eyes. But I can't do that. 

We're strong, Amber. We're strong. Arles deserves Rose, don't be fucking selfish. 

The intensity of his gaze penetrated the armor I had carefully built around my heart. It was as if he saw through my defenses, laying bare the raw emotions that I had fought so hard to keep hidden. 

With a deep sigh, he looked back at Rose. She looked so pretty and happy, I couldn't help but feel envious. 

"From today onwards, I take you as my other half, Rose. I will not promise something that I cannot provide, that is love. But I promise to respect and protect you for the rest of my life." he mumbled, slipping the ring up her finger.  

I could feel my heart breaking into a million shattered fragments. The pain seared through my chest. Tears welled up in my eyes, blurring my vision as they spilled down my cheeks.

Shut up, Amber! You cannot do this. You cannot be this selfish. Let them be happy. Let Arles get what he deserves. Don't ruin his life. 

The room broke into applause, Rose blushed happily, showing the huge diamond on her finger off to everyone. 

"I'll put Aeros to sleep," I mumble, slipping out of Pariston's hold. 

Tears rushed down my cheeks, the hold breaking loose as I ran upstairs, clutching Aeros in my arms. I laid Aeros down in his crib, his tiny form peacefully nestled among the soft blankets.

Sinking down onto the floor beside his crib, I pulled my knees to my chest. Sobs wracked my body, each breath coming in short, ragged gasps. The weight of my emotions pressed down on my chest, making it difficult to take in the air.

Tears flowed freely, mingling with the salty taste on my lips. I curled into myself, my body shaking with each sob, as the pent-up pain and frustration found release.

Arles deserves to be happy.
Rose deserves to be happy.
My family deserves to be happy.

And I deserve this pain? I deserve to be beaten and raped just because I couldn't control a car from crashing!?

"It's okay! It's okay, I'm strong. I'm strong." I mumble, wiping my tears away with trembling hands. 

"It's okay, Amber. You have to do this," My throat scorched, anguish running through my veins. 

The door squeaked open, and my breath caught in my throat when I saw Arles standing on the other side. Time seemed to stand still as we locked gazes, the air crackling with unspoken words.