1. The Way Bone Breaks

AN-

Please enjoy this fanfiction and make sure to vote if you like it -feel free to give friendly criticism when needed :)

Please note: this story is still very much in its early stages. I revisit early chapters often to update them as my writing style improves, or even to change the storyline entirely, meaning that if you RR, the story may be different.

... = POV change between Draco and Harry.

——— = time skip/start

Bold = authors note/word count

Word count: 1322

______________________________

Harry had never particularly liked Malfoy. From the moment he had met him at Madam Malkin's, it was obvious that they were different.

He didn't prioritise himself in remembering how he had initially been drawn in by this -after ten years of living with the Dursley's, meeting someone as unique as Malfoy would be a breath of fresh air to anyone. Thankfully, their second meeting on the Hogwarts express severed any innocent interest in the Blond, and ultimately lead to a probable life-long rivalry.

This was why punching Malfoy on a Monday afternoon was a perfectly acceptable thing to do. Hearing the Slytherin whimper damsel-like whenever someone accidentally brushed past his arm (that was bandaged to an unreasonable degree) and curse Hagrid's name for 'injuring' him was all it took. Harry had never had any level of self-control to be even remotely proud of, and yet full-on punching a green-tie in the middle of the great hall was above even his level of impulsiveness. It had always been that way with Malfoy -he ceaselessly managed to trod on every single one of his nerves until he just about exploded, and the blond got to be the victim once again.

The only exception to this, was Harry. Or, more accurately- the student body. When Malfoy was injured by the actions of a teacher, particularly one of Hagrid's proportions, it came off far differently then if he were to lose a fight with a Gryffindor. Harry looked down at the Slytherin, blood pouring down his face- nose ever so slightly bent to the left.

He wondered when the day had taken such a downward turn- thinking back to that morning.

The trio, while still engrossed in conversation, had been in a decidedly good mood, thanks to it being the day of Hagrid's first Care of Magical Creatures lesson. This upbeat mood, however, instantly dropped when Malfoy, surrounded by a cluster of prowling Slytherins, came into view.

They each shared a look before joining the back of the large group circling an even larger Hagrid. "Okay, come on now, come closer." The class passed each other unsure looks before stepping an inch or two forward, "-and less talkin' if yeh don't mind, got a real treat for yeh today; a great lesson!" Hagrid let out a jolly laugh as he led the way, not seeming to notice the excited whispers buzzing through the party of girls behind him, each of them running at different speeds, in an attempt to keep up with his long strides.

Him, Ron and Hermione opened their books as instructed, waiting for the lesson to begin.

"I think they're funny." Said Hermione, thoughtfully, setting her book down on the rough surface of a tree stump.

Malfoy's head snapped up, "Oh yea, terribly funny -really witty! God this place has gone to the dogs... Wait until my father hears Dumbledore's got this oaf teaching classes!" Crabbe and Goyle laughed mechanically, despite it being likely that neither had a clue what half the sentence meant.

"Shut up Malfoy" Harry shot forward, feeling an instant need to stand up for the half giant, not only because Hagrid was a perfectly decent person, and Malfoy was being an arse, but he had been the first taste of the Wizarding world he had ever gotten. Harry would always hold gratitude for the man, for getting him out of the hell that was the Dursley household, and so it was the least he could do, in his eyes.

Malfoy whistled, sliding his bag off his arm, which landed limply on the ground with a dull thud.

Strutting towards him, chin up and chest out, he looked him up and down as if sizing him up. Malfoy stood a step or two in front of him, lips twisted into a smirk, until they dropped in an alarming manner. Then, walking backwards, looking horrified, the Slytherin's eyes had been glued to something just behind the startled raven. He began stuttering profusely, until he finally let out: "DEMENTOR, DEMENTOR!!"

Harry's eyes widened, the one thing he both hated and feared more than Voldemort himself, was right behind him. He swiveled around, eyes already glossing at the memory of the train.

The scream.

He didn't want to think about it.

As he turned, he reached for his wand. Harry looked behind him, expecting to see his worse fear inches from his face. But instead, he saw his classmates, and behind them? The still woods.

He furrowed his brows in confusion before the jarring laugh of one Draco Malfoy reached his regrettable ears. He turned around, humiliation swallowing him as Malfoy and the surrounding Slytherins put up their pointed black hoods so their eyes were partially covered in an unsettling manner. Their childish ghost noises were accompanied with them waggling their fingers in front of their face, as Harry tensed his jaw.

Hermione grabbed him and pulled him away, probably having seen his fists clenching at his sides. He felt her glare at them over his shoulder as he tried to calm his still racing heart.

The rest of the lesson went better than smoothly, with the ride on Buckbeak and such. Unfortunately, it came to an untimely end when Malfoy predictably got jealous of any form of attention on Harry, and did something stupid, ending with him being carried away wailing.

It was dinner when Harry saw him again, surrounded by all his Slytherin friends. He rolled his eyes (something he had been doing quite a lot lately) when he heard him telling the devastating tale of his near-death experience. But, when he heard him blaming Hagrid for the entire incident, Harry understood.

He didn't disrespect Buckbeak to look cool in front of his friends, or even to prove Harry to be inferior; he did it so he could blame it on Hagrid. He could lose his job after less than a day!

He had been so excited about being a Professor and now Malfoy was just going to ruin this for him, for no better reason than his own amusement. The sudden realisation that he could also be let go of his grounds keeper position made his chest clench -he would never see Hagrid again. Just. Because. Of Malfoy.

Something in him snapped.

Hermione tried to drag him away once she saw what he was doing. But it was useless, Harry was livid. Malfoy smirked once he saw Potter stomping toward him. He stood, ready to intimidate, chest puffed out a little extra, as his friends sniggered at the Gryffindor. Harry didn't hesitate, despite Hermione's plea's to stop.

He new she was right. But he didn't all that much care. He punched Malfoy square in the nose, blood covering his fist.

The blonde stumbled back, cradling his face. His friends wore faces of pure shock as they stared at Malfoy, his whimpers echoing through the great hall.

Everyone stopped talking and looked in their direction (including the teachers) however, after a brief spell of silence;
the noise continued, no one any wiser to the Slytherin cowering below the table.

Harry glared down at him before stalking off to Gryffindor table, Hermione in tow, looking rather pale.

Authors note-

I hope you enjoyed my first chapter, and providing you find my writing style ok to read, that you enjoy the rest!

Don't forget to vote if you liked it, thanks!

( And happy reading :> )