Chapter 6 - The Tour

I can match the face to the name instantly. I don't know why, or how. I don't remember ever seeing him in my whole life.

Thomas's eyes remain on me for a longer period of time than others. His gaze faulted when Gally grabs him by the shirt and shoved him into the grass.

The Gladers surround him, enclosing him into a circle. Thomas looks terrified. His eyes wildly dance around to every single Glader. They're all laughing and smiling at him.

Thomas stands up, creating a hole in the circle. Before I know what's happening, he starts at a sprint. I have no idea where he expects to go, as there are gigantic walls and 30 boys around him. He looks like a baby goat taking its first steps, wobbling and off balance.

"We've got a runner!" Zart yells.

All the other Gladers start laughing, and I can't help but giggle a little myself. I stop myself when I see Thomas fall onto his face, completely in the grass. Everyone winces.

"I blame you guys," I huff. "You probably distracted him from his master escape plan that he lost balance."

Newt and Alby run over, and I follow with the rest of the Gladers. Thomas groans in pain, his face tightening.

"Let's take him to the pit." Alby tells Newt.

Thomas obliges, and stands up with the help of Newt. They walk him over to the pit and shut the gate.

Before the rest of the Gladers come and surround the two boys, I go up to them. Minho seems to have the same idea because he follows suit.

"-gotta take a little while to settle down," I catch Alby muttering as I walk up to them.

"You got the tour today?" Newt asks. Finally, they notice me coming over and slow down their pace.

Alby shrugs, "Yeah, sure. Might be easier. Make sure nobody starts bugging him today about becoming a shuckin' runner."

"On it." Newt laughs, "Man, that shank has some quick legs."

"Yeah, maybe a little too fast for his brain to comprehend." Minho adds.

I laugh slightly, "Okay, guys seriously stop it. He just hasn't grown into them yet." This whole conversation causes them to laugh.

Alby sees all the Gladers standing around watching us, "Alright, get back to work everyone!" He yells.

1 hour later

I've gone back to work in the Medjacks, but I can't help looking out the window at Alby giving Thomas the tour. It's been a slow day today. Nobody has chopped off fingers, sliced their legs, or gotten in a fist fight.

I know his name before he does, I think. Could he know mine already?

I look at Clint, who's dividing up the medical instruments into their designated boxes. "Hey, C." I walk over to him, "Would it be cool if I left early today? We only have a little time left, and I wanted to hang out with a Chuck today." I lie. It's become way too easy. They never suspect that a girl would be lying.

He gives a nod, "Go for it."

I smile, and walk out the door leading to the rest of the Glade. The wind hits my back and causes my pony tail to swish back and forth.

Alby is handing Thomas over to Chuck just as I arrive. Chuck notices me first, "Oh, hey Clara! How's it going?"

"Hey Chuck!" I meet his smile with one of my own.

As I speak, Thomas turns around. I'm met with deep brown eyes, a perfectly shaped jawline, and beautiful brown hair. For a second, my breath is actually taken away.

I notice them both staring at me, and I find my voice. "Uh- sorry. Mind if I join in on the tour?"

Chucks smile brightens, causing his eyes to squint, "Yeah! That would be awesome, Clara!"

I turn to Thomas, "You're the new Greenie, right?"

He nods, staring at me. I chuckle, "What's your name?"

He looks around, his eyes landing on Chuck. His eyes look like they're searching for approval.

I roll my eyes, laughing, "Are you allowed to talk?"

Thomas's eyes dart back to me. He smiles, "Yeah. I just can't remember my name."

He can't remember, I think. But I know.

"Oh, that's alright. It happens to everyone. Don't think to highly of yourself." I smile, "Come on, I don't want you guys complaining to Alby that I was the reason your tour got delayed."

We continue walking through the Glade, showing Thomas all of the different jobs he could do. He doesn't seem interested in any of them, which annoys me. Some Gladers come up thinking they are better than everyone else and don't need to do a job. When in reality, they were sent up the exact same way.

Just like in my tour a few months ago, Minho and Ben come running out of the Maze. Thomas noticed them, "I thought you said nobody could go into the Maze." He started walking ahead of us.

Chuck and I make eye contact, then I run up to Thomas. I follow in step with him. Before I can say anything, I'm interrupted.

Minho and Ben jogs past us. "New Greenie, huh?" Ben chuckles.

Minho smirks, "How's it feel to be promoted?"

I scoff, "Don't offend me, Minho. I was already above you." He laughs and jogs away.

I stop Thomas from following them. "Those are the runners. They are the only people who are allowed to go in there. They've been training for it the whole time they have been here."

I notice Thomas still looking at the Maze and walking towards it. I grab his shoulders, "HEY! Bud, did you hear me? Don't even look at the maze, alright? You seriously don't want to."

Thomas looks at me, "What if I wanna be a runner?"

I scoff, laughing. "Did you seriously not just hear everything I said? You don't want to be a runner. Seriously." I say each word slowly, drawing out the seriousness of what I'm trying to tell him.

We have had a few Greenies come up here, wanting to be Runners. Usually the longing wears off, but most of them have never been this into it. Thomas continues walking towards the Maze walls, and I just stand there crossing my arms and rolling my eyes.

I wish I didn't though, because before I know it, Gally has shoved Thomas full force to the ground.