Chapter Fourty: Years Gone By

Two Years After Rick's Death
Janie opened her eyes and the trees above her came into focus, she watched the branches swaying in a gentle breeze for a moment.
"Morning." Daryl said as she sat up and looked over to see him warming his hands over a small bonfire.
"Morning." She replied. "I'm gonna go have a wash."
She opened her rucsac and took out a pair of baggy grey jeans which had rips in the knees and a white vest which was stained with blood.

She walked for a few minutes until she came to the river where she stripped off, leaving only her knickers and jumped in.

When she returned to camp, Daryl was turning squirrel meat on a stick above the fire, slowly cooking it. Janie sniffed the air and smiled.
"I'm starving." She said as she sat down to join him.

After breakfast, Daryl pulled out his map and lay it down on a log for Janie to see.
"I reckon we look here today." He said pointing at an area upstream.
"Okay?"

The pair trudged through the long grass when suddenly Janie stopped, she could hear something in the distance, it was a dog barking. The barking got louder until a tiny German Shepherd puppy appeared in the grass, jumping up and down like a kangaroo. Daryl bent down and lifted it up.
"Where did you come from, huh?" He said as it licked at his face.
Janie tickled behind the dogs ear and it squirmed in Daryls arms.
"You're ticklish?" She asked as Daryl put it down again and it ran back to where it came from.
"We gotta get going." Daryl said as they watched the dog disappear amongst the trees. "Carol will be waiting."

"Hey." Daryl said to Carol who was stood on the other side of the river. "What's going on?"
"Things are just different." Carol replied. "I don't know."
"Different how?" Janie asked.
"Harder." She replied. "Harder to talk. Harder to trade. Maggie left Hilltop, she took Hershel with her."
"Why?" Daryl asked.
"She's on her own journey I guess." She replied. "Like you two."
"You know I've got to do this, right?" He asked and Carol nodded. "I have to find Rick."
"How's Michonne?" Janie asked. "And Judith and RJ?"
"I don't know, Jane." Carol replied.
"Just give her more time." Daryl spoke. "She ain't ready yet."
"It's been two years." Carol said, crossing her arms tightly across her chest. "How long do you plan on staying out here?"
"As long as it takes." He replied, thunder rumbling in the distance.
"We should go." Janie said as she looked around at the grey sky. "There's a storm coming."
Carol nodded as she took the rucsac from off of her shoulder before tossing it across the river. It landed with a thud in front of Janie's feet.

That night a storm did come and it was a rough one.
Janie clambered onto Daryl lap and curled up in a ball as he threw his poncho over the both of them to keep warm but nothing was really helping. The rain was so heavy it had already soaked them both through to their bones. That was the night Daryl lost his map, it got completely destroyed. Now he didn't know where he'd already been or where he could go next. He was never going to find Rick.

One Year Later
Janie wrapped a piece of wire around a red jasper stone she had found on the river bank. With the wire she made a small loop which she then threaded onto a pieces of string.
"What's up buttercup?" Daryl's voice spoke from behind her and she quickly stuffed her creation into her pocket before turning to look at him.
"You okay?" She asked and he nodded.
"Remember that puppy we saw about a year ago?" He asked. "I saw him again and met his owner."
"There's someone else out here?" Janie asked, she was surprised they hadn't found this person before.
"Yeah." Daryl replied. "Some woman. She doesn't want to be disturbed."
Suddenly their conversation was interrupted by a yell in the distance. The pair spun around to see Michonne running towards them, yelling Daryl's name. She looked distressed.
"Daryl!" She yelled as she came to a stop. She rested her hands on her knees and wheezed before continuing. "Judith is missing."
"Jane, stay here and look after the camp." Daryl ordered and Janie nodded.
"Wait." She said reaching into her pocket. "I made you this." She handed him the necklace she had made him before him and Michonne left.