Chapter Two |

It was mocking me.

The Titan in front of us was just staring at us. Muscle and bone amongst clouds of smoke, grasping the wall as if it was a book from Armin's collection. Eyes set in a glare and teeth bearing for us to witness.

It mocked me.

It annoyed me.

We were sheep compared to this wolf. We have nothing to defend ourselves with and seeing its massive size was a reminder. Even if we did have something to defend ourselves with, we probably still wouldn't defeat this creature. My thoughts further drifted to the men at the gates. The men that call themselves the Garrison. I practically scoffed at the idea of them and the symbol they wear. The Garrison that was supposed to defend us was not going to arrive. They weren't going to protect us from the big bad wolf. They're too busy drinking away to save sheep like us. Just thinking about them annoyed me too.

They're not coming to save the children beside me.

The children.

Eren.

Mikasa.

Armin.

My eyes widen. I have to get them out of here before the chaos really begins. I have to.

Bang!

Screams echoed, traveling from every direction all at once. I felt my throat tighten at the sound of screams and the sight before me. The wall has been breeched.

The impact of the breech could be felt. Waves of air pushing everyone and everything down to the ground. I grabbed the trio, facing my back to the Titan, but making sure the trio wouldn't have to endure the pain I was having to face from the impact of the Titan's kick. The shingles from neighboring houses were losing its grip and flying until they hit my back. I winced as the hit from the shingles kept getting harder and harder. I kept enduring it though. I have to for the sake that the trio in my hands are safe and away from this chaos.

Loud thuds sounded near us. Large boulders of debris pounded to the neighborhoods, causing many bodies to fall. Blood splattered along with dust. Flicks of debris scattered around the bodies when they hit the ground.

My arms loosened around the trio until they fell to my side. I heaved, inhaling some of the dust with every other breath. Too much blood has already spilled and it was only the beginning. I faced the destroyed wall once I saw that no harm had come to the trio in time that the Titan that had caused so much destruction with one kick was disappearing from our view.

"It-- It blasted a hole. Like it was kicking a rock."

More screams followed. "Run for your lives!"
"They've breached the wall!"

I looked towards the hole. My eyes widen. I need to get the children out of here. I need to get them out now.

"We have to go."

Titans were slowly barging through the hole. They all came forward in a daze, wearing smiles like cheshire cats. I felt the vibrations from their footsteps. I felt them come in and scatter around, hoping to find one of the citizens to prey on.

All around us, citizens were running away from the wall. Loved ones holding one another, trying to keep each other safe. My shoulder got shoved by one of the citizens. I stumbled at the force, watching as the woman cradled her child while running away. I blinked. I knew I needed to get them out of here but it was like I was stuck in my place, hypnotized not to move an ounce of muscle. Though my trance only lasted a second when I saw Eren run towards the danger. "Eren!"

My feet picked up. I was reaching for him. I ignored the cries of Armin as I picked up speed. My focus was on Eren. I knew what he was doing. I knew what he was thinking. He was thinking about our mother. I would've lied to myself if I said she didn't cross my mind. Especially when that mother showed me the meaning of love. My mother was there along with the thought of the children's safety. I had the hope that she was still alive; that she survived the impact of the breach; that she was safe away from this and was just now waiting for us to meet her on the opposite wall or was in the midst of panicking citizens. She has to be. With that thought, I pushed harder.