Chapter 4

🖤LIAM🖤

My bed feels colder than usual as I lay down tired after today's practice. It's March, and the snow is still on the ground in Boston City. I can't be the one to complain about the cold. I am a hockey player by choice. I like having ice under my feet. I like feeling the cold wind hit my face. As a child, I watched the Boston hockey team play every weekend. I went with my grandpa, and we sang these hockey songs on the platform and watched the game with tension. It was my childhood, and the man that made me like hockey was no other than Jason Mae, who I now see as Jack's dad. And now also Livias. When I went to the same hockey team as Jack, I expected Jason to be there every game, supposing his son. But the truth is, I have never seen my childhood idol close to his son or even heard a word about him. I wonder if Livia is close to him if she always was Daddy's girl and Jack was his mothers. But she seemed uncomfortable when I brought him up a few nights ago, almost like it was the thing she hated the most. My mind brings Livia up, and I can't help but think about her. Her brown hair, perfect cherry lips and a goddamn body from heaven. If she weren't a Mae, I would have taken my chance to get her in bed. Because that's who I used to be. But I can't. But it doesn't mean I will stay away from her. She is different. She has that curious smile that makes me want to know more about her, and she hides something. I know it. She is one of those genuinely friendly girls who does not just talk to me because I'm on hockey time. The few times I have spoken to her, I have had a smile. And I know that Noah wouldn't be best friends with a Chuck Bunny without a nice personality because the guy himself is a sweetheart. She is just something else, and I want to know more about her.

"Honey, are you back from practice?" My mother knocks on the door before opening it slowly with a slight smile.

"Oh, there you are. It's cold in here, isn't it?" I nod, looking out the window and seeing the snow falling.

"I think I left my window open last night." My mother checks the temperature in my room before nodding slowly.

"Yeah, that must be it." She turns around, and I bite my lip slowly.

"What's on your mind, son?" A small laugh leaves my mouth, and I look up at my mom.

"There is something I wanted to ask," my mother nods slowly before sitting on the end of the bed, and I take a deep breath.

"So, you know I'm turning twenty this year. Right?" My mother nods; I'm sure she knows where this is going.

"The boys and I started looking at something on the campus. It's a townhouse, four bedrooms, and I was thinking.... " I take a break to look up at my mother, who is smiling.

"You want to move in with your friends," I nod slowly. I dont want to hurt my mother since I have been the only man in the house for the last couple of years. My father left us for a younger woman when I was twelve, and I haven't heard from him since that day. I live with my mother and my ten-year-old sister, Sadie. But a man has to leave the house one day.

"I am not talking about this season; maybe next semester. The contract of the house starts this August." My mother watches me happily before brushing her thumb over my cheek.

"I dont want to leave you, I promise." She nods.

"I know you dont, I am happy for you guys. It's time for you to grow up and find something for yourself. I'm sure the other mothers are feeling the same." I nod, bringing her into a hug.

"You grew up so fast." She whispers into my hair, and I smile.

"Are you sure you will be alright? I mean, I will visit you and Sadie weekly and-" She interrupts me.