Thirty Six

Kylie:

Four years later…

After our phone rang, I looked at Dean, “Dean! It’s July 15th!” I exclaim, shaking him awake, he rubbed his eyes, “What…?” then he jerked awake, “July 15th!” he exclaimed, nearly falling out of bed. “Go stall Bella, I’ll get the surprise!” he said, pulling on a shirt and some sweatpants on over his boxers.

He and I ran out of the bedroom and ran into Bella, Dean managed to look nonchalant, “Oh, morning Bells.” She smiled, “Morning daddy, you know what day it is?” “July 15th? The day I have something major to get ready?” he asked before walking off, and Bella looked crestfallen. “Today’s my birthday…” she muttered, looking at the ground.

“I know, but you’re father has got a lot on his mind, I’m sorry but he may have forgotten.” I lied to her, trying to keep her surprise a secret until I got the signal. I put my hand on her shoulder and led her to the kitchen. “Happy fifteenth birthday, Bella.” I told her, instead of having a “Sweet Sixteenth” birthday, since she was born on the fifteenth we all decided that this birthday would be the major one. “Thanks mom.” she said giving me a hug and sighed, “I’m glad somebody remembered...So where’s my present?” she asked, and I grinned, “It’s a surprise, shouldn’t be too long now. “Is Uncle Sammy and Tessa going to come?” she asked hopefully.

After Drew and Kyle died, it was like they took hunting into a fulltime job, at least more than they used to. Tessa more than anybody. We’d only see them a little bit a year. Dean and I hunted too, but I had my job, and he wanted to keep an eye on Bella. We only went out on Fridays and Saturdays.

“I’m not sure, they told me there’s a chance if they get their case done quickly. At the least they said they’d call or we’d set up a videochat.” I told her, giving her a hug.

Drew and Kyle dying hurt her more than anybody but I realized, I didn’t want to tell everybody else because it was her business but every now and then she’d always get into these darker moods. At the end of them she’d always end up crying on my shoulder. She knew Dean didn’t like to see her sad, it's not like he hated her for being sad. She told me one day that once she was crying and Dean walked in on her and she could tell he felt guilty that he couldn’t keep her happy. It’s almost his weakness, he doesn’t like to see those close to him sad. If it’s him, he’s fine with keeping it bottled up but with everyone else…

“Oh...okay.” she whispered, again, looking crestfallen.

Her long slightly curly brown hair was pulled up into a ponytail, her green eyes just as bright as ever, and I couldn’t believe she was already fifteen. I thanked God that she had made it this far, we’ve had some close calls in the past.

There was a very staged sounding, “Caw-Caw!” from the door to the bunker, and I laughed to myself. That was the signal.

“Come on Bella.” I said to her, holding her hand. She raised an eyebrow, “Um...was that dad?” “Yeah, now let’s go!” I told her, as she and I walked out of the bunker.

Outside it was a beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky, and slightly windy so the heat wasn’t too bad.

Dean stood, leaned on the Impala, and two figures stepped out of the car.

“Uncle Sammy! Aunt Tessa!” she yelled, running forward and hugging both of them.

“Geez, how are you as tall as me?” Tessa asked with a smile, looking at her niece.” “Maybe she took after me.” Sam said with a grin as he gave her another hug. He was still towering over her but who knows, she could have gotten some of those tall genes.