Let's go to school!

Ships: Akikoha
Summary: Akito and Kohane run into each other on the way to school

{ •♡• }

"I'm off!" Kohane called before begrudgingly exiting her house. The gate shut behind her and she tiredly leaned against the mailbox, adjusting her bag. The sun was barely up. She hated when animal caretaking duties called her in this early in the morning. The city always felt creepily empty this time of day.

"You're up early, Azusawa." Kohane jumped at the sound of a low voice before looking behind her. "Yo," Akito gave a two finger wave, walking from down the street.

"Shinonome-kun, good morning..." Kohane took a deep breath in the morning mist and let him catch up. "To be honest, I don't really want to be up this early in the morning."

Akito said nothing because he couldn't relate to that situation. Closer to her, he observed her, mellow from breakfast, school uniform neat from being hung up at nighttime, and her pigtails neat. "This probably doesn't help at all, but I think you look your best in the morning." She blushed confusedly. Did mornings always make interactions this uncanny? Akito scratched the back of his neck. "Let's walk together." He awkwardly walked ahead.

"R-Right..!" She rushed to catch up to him, latching to the arm opposite his bag. He smirked and held her arm in return. He takes he long route by chance and this happens. All is right in the world.

They walked through the quiet neighborhood, Akito observing the occasional chipmunk or skunk, and smirking when Kohane followed his gaze and noticed it move into the light, which shone brown on its fur and golden in its eyes. The sky grew and changed hues before them, the pale purple glow turning blueish. Morning dew gathered on nearby potted plants as they entered a busier area where the houses weren't gated off. The streets were wider, too. Akito drifted further inward on the sidewalk.

Kohane unconsciously pressed into Akito at the sight of crowds. He slowed, acting like he didn't notice. As they got closer to the station, though, she noticed that even the people themselves were quieter. Some were in a hurry to what was the start of a full day, others were contemplative, but all seemed hushed, in a way. She relaxed at the strange feeling, hearing the cars zip by at the crosswalk in a silent bubble. She wasn't used to this subdued vibe from Akito, either.

"S-Shinonome-kun..." she borderline whispered.

"Azusawa," he returned in a normal speaking voice. She perked up. The crossing light changed, and Akito moved his hand to hers as he brought her down off the pavement. They crossed as Kohane thought of what to say.

"You seem really comfortable in this time of day..." She stepped up to the other side of the road.

"Comfortable..." Kohane could see the moment he overthought her words. He cocked his head. "What's that supposed to mean..?" he groaned.

"N-nothing bad, just..." she looked at him, hair somewhat less messy, uniform straight from being unworn, and eyes steady and fresh, "I've never noticed how much morning time seems to suit you. You have a different... energy level?? Than when I see you after school, for example."

The pair slowed to a stop under a potted tree. Kohane continued. "Like... On Saturday mornings, you start with a certain amount of energy and gain or lose it during practice. I thought you just woke up with the energy you came to practice with. But, right now, it feels like 'Shinonome Akito' is loading, like you're still gaining energy for the day by absorbing the morning city itself."

Akito tilted his head. He repeated her words in his head. He wheezed, putting a hand up. "I have no idea what you're talking about, Azusawa." Kohane felt vaguely comforted by his chuckles. Akito slowed and kept thinking. Maybe he was a bit more mellow in the mornings. "The dawn...