Prologue: A Legend Reborn

The soft gentle sound of humming caught his attention. It was so soft, the blue and cream colored Pokémon barely heard a word. The melody could've been compared to the voice of Meloetta; in his opinion. He paused to listen for but a moment. Surely, Cobalion would not mind, although he was supposed to be patrolling this section of the forest. Though, no one would notice if he took a tiny break.

Keldeo turned and silently tracked the noise. It was most definitely feminine. He had followed the sound to a thicket deep within the forest, until he saw it. Or, rather, someone.

The Pokémon saw a figure robed in a long, burgundy cloak. The outline of its figure underneath told Keldeo it was that of a human woman. In surprise, he let out a small snuffle, alerting her to his presence. She whipped around, and finally he was able to see her, at least, some of her.

The cloak's hood fell just above her nose, and revealed only an elegant neck and full, pink lips. Several strands of lilac colored hair were visible from under her hood. Other than that, the cloak covered all of her from head to wrist. The material stopped only short of her feet. The burgundy cloak was fastened with a tiny, purple bow. Her mouth formed an expression of surprise.

"What are you...?"

~I'm Keldeo,~ the Pokémon laughed a little. ~Don't be scared of me.~ she backed away.

"You... You can talk!"

~Of course I can! Almost all mythical Pokemon can speak.~

"Well, yeah, I knew that," she retorted. She opened her mouth to speak again, but a shot came from nearby, and she jumped, causing her hood to fall, revealing terrified pale green eyes. "Farewell, until we meet again, Keldeo!" She cried softly, then turned towards a hollow tree behind her, taking a bundle from beneath her cloak and placing it tenderly inside. To Keldeo's surprise, the woman waved her hand over the tree, and a wall of water covered the tree hollow before it became invisible.

~You know how to refract the light through water?~ he asked incredulously. The woman shrugged quickly, dismissing him.

"Just something I picked up somewhere." Now her face changed to one of desperation. "Please, that's my baby I just hid away," she said, pointing to the tree hollow. "I'm being chased by a hunter who wants to either capture or kill me. No matter what happens to me, please, take care of my baby girl. Please!" The woman pleaded. Keldeo's mind was moving so quickly in confusion; he could only nod. Cobalion would have to deal with him later.

~I swear it,~ Keldeo promised solemnly. Her face formed a small smile of relief.

"Thank Ho-Oh..." Both human and Pokemon jumped as another shot, much closer this time, rang out. This time, the woman sprinted off. Keldeo silently prayed she would be safe.

Suddenly, he heard no more shots. Instead, the smell of burning brush singed his nostrils. Moments later, the trees around him glowed orange, red and yellow. The forest!

Flames flickered in front of the little pokémon's eyes.

No... Not again...

He reared, and unleashed a powerful aqua jet towards the flames, but new embers only replaced them. His eyes widened fearfully as the flames neared the tree where the mysterious woman had hidden her child. As flames licked the trunk, the watery shield flickered in and out of existence. The baby would die without the water to shield it!

Knowing this, the blue and cream Pokemon dashed to the tree, forcing his body through the water barrier to grab the bundle with his mouth. He had just emerged from the water barrier when a flaming limb came crashing down in front of him, and he had barely jumped to the side soon enough to evade it.