You Belong With Me💋

Album: Fearless (Taylor's Version)

Annabeth's on the phone with her boyfriend. He's upset, going off about something that she said. He doesn't get her dark, witty humor like I do. I'm in my room on a typical Tuesday night, listening to the kind of music he doesn't like. He'll never know her story like I do.

He's a big jock on the football team who's gotten a few hundred concussions and acts like it. True to cliche, Annabeth's the blonde cheer captain, but she's the opposite of a dumb blonde. She's so smart and so kind and so beautiful. Meanwhile, I'm on the bleachers dreaming about the day when Annabeth wakes up and finds that what she's looking for has been here the whole time. If only she could see that I'm the one who understands her. I've been here all along so why can't she see I would treat her so much better than that douchebag does? I would treat her like a queen, the way she deserves.

You belong with me.

Walking in the street with her and that worn-out Yankees cap she always wears, and I can't help thinking this is how it should be. We're laughing on a park bench and I'm thinking to myself: Hey, isn't this easy? She's got a smile that could light up the whole city, all the way to the Statue of Liberty, but I haven't seen it in a while since he got her down. He's always making little comments about her, as if he has any right to dictate what she does and doesn't do, as if he's better than her. She says she's fine but I know her better than that; what's she doing with a guy like that? He's too busy knocking other people down to care about her the way she deserves. I'm the one that's known her since we were 12, the one that's been here the whole time, the one who understands her.

All that time standing by her, silently pining after her, how could she not know?

You belong with me.

I can remember her driving to my house in the middle of the night. Texting me from my front porch asking to come in, red-eyed and stuffy-nosed. I let her into my room and played her favorite songs while she told me about her dreams. Less dreams, more night terrors. I comforted her and an hour later, we were laughing.

I understand her. I think I know where she belongs, think I know it's with me.

Have she ever even thought, just maybe, she belongs with me?

You belong with me.