Chapter 6: I'll Fly For You

The next day was St Patrick's day, Nick was rushed to the hospital because of his sickle cell disease causing pulmonary hypertension. Stu was there next to Nick who now has an oxygen mask. "Stu, I'm scared," Nick said, trying to catch his breath and have oxygen fill his lungs. He was having a panic attack. "Shh, you're okay Nick, you're okay," Stu said, wiping the tears from Nick's eyes. Dr Chen soon came into the room to check on Nick. "Is it getting better?" Stu asked. "I don't really know for sure," Dr Chen said, after checking Nick's lungs via her stethoscope. Nick felt so exhausted, he later fell asleep after being able to calm himself down. "We'll switch him to a nasal cannula, the one some of your friends have once his oxygen levels are okay," Dr Chen said.

"That's just brilliant, all the younger ones are ill," Stu said. "Not Dave and Sarah," Dr Chen said. "Well, most of the younger ones," Stu said. "Stu, some people can't help being ill, Nick was born with sickle cell, it's not his fault he had it. Same for Larry, he was born with cystic fibrosis," Dr Chen said. "I dunno what they did to deserve this," Stu said. "It just happens, Stu, but all your ill teammates are trying to live their lives to the fullest, you just have to be careful with them," Dr Chen said. Back in Martin and Michael (Hutchence)'s room, Michael was released from the hospital today so Simon brought him a change of clothes. "I managed to keep your old clothes in my closet," Simon said, showing Michael (Hutchence)'s clothes. "I remembered this one, a few years ago in around 1983 you were pushed into the lake because of some bullies, after another therapy session," Michael (Hutchence) said.

"Yeah, glad that brain damage didn't take away your memories," Simon said. "But it did take away my sense of taste and smell," Michael (Hutchence) said. "And I also recalled that you saved me and took me to your dorm and gave me your spare clothes because it was cold and you don't want me to get sick," Simon said. "And you still kept the jacket I gave to you on your birthday," Michael (Hutchence) said, looking at the jacket Simon was wearing. "Yeah, I had it off to get my arm treated but it's getting better, I love this jacket anyway," Simon said. "I'm glad you do," Michael (Hutchence) said. "But for now, I'm returning it because you need clothes," Simon said. "He really cares about you, Michael," Kim said. "I don't understand why, I literally pushed him and I almost forgot he had haemophilia," Michael (Hutchence) said.

"Michael, I already forgave you for that a long time ago, people can change," Simon said. "Easy for you to say, you've changed a lot since you've been to therapy for your depression and bipolar disorder, that's one thing I like about you," Michael (Hutchence) said. "And what's one thing you don't like about him?" Nicky asked. "His haircut, I prefer him with long hair," Michael (Hutchence) said. "Okay, that's rough of you to say," Nicky said. "You're still a jerk, huh?" Bono asked. "I actually preferred my long hair too but I think I kind of like my new haircut," Simon said. "He only cut it because we were both captured by the IRA," Richard said. "Wait, the IRA still exists? The Troubles are still going on?" Michael (Hutchence) asked.

"Yes, two IRA officers grabbed Richard and Simon by their hair but then they both cut it off," Larry said. "Luckily George and I can cut their hair a bit more to make it even," Roland said. That's when Martin woke up. "Good morning Martin, how are you feeling?" Gary asked. But all Martin got was ringing in both ears. "Martin, you alright, mate?" Michael (Hutchence) asked. Martin just clutched his ears in pain. John (Keeble) instantly pressed the emergency button only to have Dr Hayley, Dr Mills and Dr O'Connor come in. "What happened?" Dr Hayey asked. "My ears," Martin said. Dr Hayley took out her tuning fork and asked Martin if he could hear it. "Can you hear it?" Dr Hayley asked, taking Martin's hand out of his ear. Martin shook his head. "He's becoming deaf as a result of meningitis, we gotta stop the drug trial permanently, Carbamezepine or Tegretol works for him," Dr Mills said.

"Good idea," Dr Hayley said. "Martin, we'll start your physiotherapy soon, okay?" Dr O'Connor asked. Martin couldn't hear him anymore. "I'll make the hearing aids, don't worry," Nicky said, getting his toolbox and necessary materials to create the hearing aids. "Is it both ears?" Larry asked. Dr Hayley did the tuning fork test on both of Martin's ears. "Seems like it," Dr Hayley said, upon noticing that Martin wasn't responding to the tuning fork. "Guess I'll make another pair," Nicky said as he started working. "He's your boyfriend, right?" Michael (Hutchence) asked. "Yeah but he's so smart and he's also an inventor, he also invented these portable oxygen concentrators," Simon said, showing the oxygen concentrator in his pocket. "He also made enhanced hearing aids," Larry said, showing his hearing aid.