Chapter Four: The Dining Hall

Sasuke stood beside the large wisteria tree that was in the furthest sector of the Palace. His arms were crossed and his eyebrows furrowed as he listened to the way the leaves rustled in the wind. There was nothing on his mind as he remained as still as possible — ignoring his best friend who kept looking at him with concern.

The day of the Noble Clan Dinner has finally approached and he wasn't interested in it at all.

"I wish you were here to make father change his mind." He whispered under his breath, hoping that the spirit of his late mother would be able to hear him.

Sasuke never shared with his father that he had found solace in the fact that his mother had passed simply because he had something to remember her goodbye. The wisteria tree was the place he would usually find her; humming and painting the scenery with little to no interest in anything else.

Being there helped him clear his head as much as it served to be a reminder that she was always watching him.

"I can feel you pacing back and forth, Naruto, what's the matter?" He grumbled as he turned to his friend with annoyance evident on his face although his eyes were covered.

"You're supposed to be getting ready for their arrival but we've been avoiding the maids for a couple hours now." He set his katana beside him as he sat down at Sasuke's feet. Bringing his knees to his chest, Naruto looked over the horizon whilst feeling sorry that Sasuke couldn't see how beautiful the sunset was.

"Is it not obvious that I don't want to go?"

"Trust me, it is, but your father would be angry if he gets to know that you're not making an effort to go to the event."

"Let him be angry; I did not agree to any of this. This is the only choice I've been able to make and nothing is going to change my mind about it."

"If you avoid it today, he will schedule another one and keep doing so until you've finally given up and attend the meeting. You really have no choice unless you want to keep playing this cat and mouse game you have going on with your father." Naruto shrugged. "It's all up to you, Crown Prince."

Sasuke was silent for a while, and Naruto could see the cogs in his head work as he tried to formulate a plan to somehow get out of ever meeting a bunch of unknown women to satisfy his father's demands. With a sigh, Sasuke turned to leave the comfort that the wisteria tree provided and made his way back to his room.

"I was about to ask the guards to search for you."

He opened his bedroom door to hear his father's voice. Resisting the urge to roll his eyes and glare at the man he was really starting to dislike at the moment, he instead set his bamboo walker to the side and sat down on his bed patiently.

"The maids will arrive to help you dress in your finest robes. Your hair will be styled and you will not wear that silk cloth around your eyes." Fugaku nodded in satisfaction after seeing the royal robes that were put on display in front of him.

"Why can't I wear it? Do these people not know that the beloved Crown Prince is blind?" Sasuke's voice dripped with sarcasm. "Or are they expecting Itachi since you have failed to announce that he is not on a personal mission but is dead? We do not look alike, with or without my eyes covered, they would know that."

His father became silent at the mention of his eldest son's name. He knew Sasuke was just doing so to provoke him but he kept his composure. "They do not know what Itachi looks like." He answered simply.

"So you're lying to these women in hopes that they do not question why my gaze lingers in one spot, father? To them, I would simply look as though I have a lot on my mind when in reality, I could not care to even be in the dining hall nor can I see. You're..." Sasuke said nothing as he let his anger dissipate; if he allowed it to control him, he would unknowingly activate his Sharingan once more.