•°Chapter 4°•

Mariams first day of year 10 was not how she expected it to be.

Mariam's heart raced as she approached the entrance of the Academy. The building was a grandiose structure made of concrete and glass, towering above her with its shiny exterior. A large golden sign stood at the entrance, the name of the school, Lirrong Acdemy, etched into it in bold letters. As Mariam approached, she felt the eyes of everyone around her watching her every move.

Oh, crap.

She realized that she was wearing the veil around her hair, the hijab. People looked her up and down as if trying to decipher what made her different from the rest of them. Mariam could feel the weight of their judgment bearing down on her.

Who is that?

I never knew our school was taking in refugees.

Ew what's that on her head?

Mariam shrugged off these comments, trying to hide her obvious embarrassment. As she entered the school, she realised the interior was just as grandiose as the exterior. Glittering chandeliers and polished marble floors gave off an air of elitism.

An environment where Mariam didn't feel like she belonged.

She tried to ignore the stares of her classmates and administrators as she made her way to her first-class. Mariam reminded herself why she was there, for an education that will allow her to reach her full potential. So she straightened her back, lifted her eyes and walked confidently forward into her new academic chapter.

Even though I'm different, I can still beat everyone here.

This was true as the only reason she was accepted, was because she applied for the scholarship test.

And beat everyone in the school.

Her eyes peered up at the quartz door that displayed the number she had on her timetable- Classroom 10BG1. 

She extended her shaking hands to twist the doorhandle. But instead of making a grand entrance a tall man made a grand exit.

A man with gorgeous brown eyes.

A man with a white smile.

A man with the same  beaded necklace she wore.