Chapter 10

"Okay, you two need to stop fooling around with lovey kiss junk. I say we should make a plan for our escape." Adeline pulls out a map of the future. "Here we are," she points to a red dot, "and this is where we want to be." She points to a green dot."But we'll have to go through Old Town to get there. Except it's really dangerous, and it's swarming with guards. To find the Resistance... it will not be an easy task..." I sly my eyebrow and Adeline responds. "Yes Grace?"

"What is the Resistance?"

She looks at me with a scowl.

"Grace, it's so straight forward."

"Well what is it?"

"The Resistance is an illegal organization made by the people that resist against the government. And are trying to pull back the past. The government wants to fix the future, not turn it into the past. But what options do we have?" 

"To fix the... the..." A light bulb goes off in my head and I realize what Adeline has wrong, "We shouldn't be here. To fix the future... we must go to the past."

"Grace, we might be able to." Adeline's face lights up with glee and color. But then darkens. "What if we change like, major history? Where the Declaration of Independence was never made, and America never existed?"

"It's better than what we have here."

Adeline nods silently in agreement.
"But where are we going to start?" Questioned Adeline.

"We'll start heading to Old Town. But, that won't be easy. So we'll make weapons to use. And we'll plan everything out on our map. Easy."

"More like impossible..." Adeline commented.

"So am I just supposed to hang out in the background and say nothing?" Ethan asked.

"No. You're more informed about the government. So you can tell us about security. And about guard-free cities." I explain.

"Okay, you guys can count on me this time." Ethan states. Adeline and I glare at him. "Honest!"
"And how are we going to somehow miraculously make it back to the past?" I question.
"We'll have to go to Sequoia Falls. But we have to be extremely careful there too."

"Why are we going to a waterfall?"

"Because..." Adeline looks all around her to see if anyone is spying on us. "Someone is here." She said quietly. Adeline quickly turns around, ready to kick the crap out of someone, and I see in the corner of my eye a small person with long blonde hair, like mine. She approaches us with ease. And I see her more clearly. She's a little girl. 

"Hello, I am Delia. I was wandering around my village and happened to fall upon your cave." She explains. "Are you homeless? I'm sure my mother wouldn't mind me taking some more people to our community. It's actually growing really fast."

"Why are you wandering around your community? Aren't there guards prohibiting people from leaving the communities?"

"There were a lot, but now they're just looking for some wanted people. And that they're from the past! That is so cool. Going back in time sounds fun!" Delia says with excitement.

Adeline, Ethan and I all glanced at each other with widened eyes. Then Delia looked at us. 

"You know, you look a lot like this wanted poster." She said to Adeline. "And you two also look like the people on this poster."
I look at Adeline and then at Ethan. We are doomed. 

"Oh no. We aren't those bad people. We're good homeless people." I say.

"Well homeless people do color on the posters..." She holds her fingers up to her chin. "Okay, I believe you. But since you're homeless, can I offer you all a warm bed and food? And some for the horses of course." She motions for Bea and Daisy.

"Sure." I say. "As long as there are no guards...were in."

"Why can't there be guards there?"

"Why are you asking?" I question.

"I'm a curious little girl with a lot of questions. I'm a typical kid."

"As you can see we live in a small cave... And the guards haven't been liking that we are at the palace every day, begging and pleading for shelter. One of the guards became upset with us once and he lives in your village. As you can see we are just trying to avoid conflict. Not create it."

"Oh. I had no idea... Well I can assure you all that there are absolutely no guards in my village at the time..."
"That's fantastic. Thank you."

"Your welcome."

 I feel like my shoulders are sinking, all the way to the buckles of my knees. Lying to a little girl, isn't right. It makes me feel even more of a criminal than I already am today, and that is definitely not a good thing. I approach Bea and Daisy, and untie their straps from the cave. We all begin to leave the cave, and moss dangles above each of our faces as we walk out. 

"Achoo!" I say, as I sneeze. When all of a sudden I start to hear a loud noise....