Chapter 5

After beating the Pewter and Cerulean gyms, Ash and Misty are heading towards Vermillion City so Ash can challenge Lt Surge for the 3rd badge. They arrive and Ash sends out Pikachu while Surge sends out Raichu. 

Ash knows that Pikachu is faster and uses that to his advantage. Raichu is quickly defeated with a few Quick Attacks and an Iron Tail. Ash receives the Thunder badge from Surge and leaves the gym. Ash then takes Golbat out of his Pokeball and scans him with the Pokedex.

"Golbat, the bat pokemon, a poison, and flying type. It attacks in a stealthy manner, without warning. Its sharp fangs are used to bite and suck blood"

Ash and Misty are then given tickets to the luxurious SS Anne liner docked at Vermilion port. Ash and Misty are enjoying their cruise when it is interrupted by Team Rocket boarding the ship and attempting to steal the passengers' Pokemon.

Ash and Misty were in the ballroom when this happened. Meanwhile, Jessy, James, and Meowth set off a bomb in the ship's bow, causing the ship to capsize and sink and Ash and Misty to be knocked unconscious...

Ash and Misty wake up to the ship upside down and in knee-deep water. They look out a window and see the ship is on the bottom of the ocean. Ash has Gyarados use Hyper Beam on the hull, blowing a hole in the side of the ship, allowing Ash and Misty to escape to the surface. 

After Ash and Misty arrive back on dry land, they find an abandoned Charmander and ask it to join them. Ash catches the Charmander and scans it with the Pokedex.

"Charmander, the lizard Pokemon, a fire type. From the time it is born, a flame burns at the tip of its tail. Its life would end if the flame were to go out. This Charmander is level 14 and knows the moves Flamethrower, Ember, Leer, and Scratch"

Ash and Misty continue walking and fall into a pit. They look up to see a group of Squirtle. Ash offers to catch the leader of the Squirtle.

"Squirtle, the tiny turtle Pokemon, a water type. When it feels threatened, it draws its hind legs into its shell and sprays water from its mouth. This Squirtle is level 9 and knows Water Gun, Withdrawal, Pound, and Growl.