Chapter 1: River

July 28, 1890

Gloucestershire, England

The Summer started out just fine for Ilvermorny student, River Oakley. He always spent his summers mostly alone, his parents being Aurors for MACUSA kept them busy most days. However, on this day in particular, River was no longer a student at Ilvermorny. Moving to England with his parents, he was to start at his new school, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, in his 5th year. This move didn't come as a surprise to River, actually he was expecting it. After what happened to him only a month prior, he wasn't surprised to be moved halfway across the world, with the assistance of the British Ministry for Magic, who his parents now worked for.

—------------------------------------------

June 30th, 1890

Stillwater, Minnesota, Oakley family household,

It had been a rather rainy day that day. River sat by his second story bedroom window of his family's 2-story home. He began wondering if the rain would ever stop. His Summer days were spent alone at home, most of the time, while his parents worked. Sometimes they would come home at the end of the day, but most of the time they would be gone for days, or weeks, tracking down dark wizards that threatened the wizarding community, and no-maj world. It was always like this, though. River had to learn to care for himself pretty early on because of his parent's work, but River never minded. At least that's what he told them, to keep them from worrying too much. Once he turned 11 he was able to convince his parents that he was old enough to take care of himself, so he didn't have to spend his summers being taken care of by his unbearable aunts and uncles. Yes, it was lonely, but on the days his parents were home they tried their best to spend as much time with him before they had to leave again on another mission. When they knew they'd be home for a few days they would make as many plans as they could, taking River out into the town for new books, or clothes, taking him to the theater to see a new play that had come out, whatever he wanted just so they could spend as much time with him as they could.

After maybe an hour of staring out the rain covered window, River decided he would do some cleaning in the house. Yes, he was truly, unbearably, bored. River walked around the house, putting away random forgotten items and putting them where they belong, like a book on the bookcase, or a stray sock in the laundry basket. He began to dust the home, shelves, cabinets, frames of paintings, and he was cursing his school for confiscating the wands of underage students to prevent magic use from outside the school.

While River dusted the frames of the paintings around their home's walls, he paused at a large painting in the hallway on the first floor, near his parent's bedroom. It was a decently large painting that his mother had commissioned to get done for them during their first and subsequently last vacation they were able to take. It's been some years, so the memories of the vacation are a bit hazy. He was only 7 at the time, and his memory was never the best, but he did remember that the vacation took place somewhere in France. He marveled at the expertly done painting, and also cringed at the memory of how long they had to stand there for the muggle woman to paint them. He looked across the smiling faces of his parents and then to the blissful face of himself, standing between them, holding their hands. He chuckled. He looked like a perfect mix of each of them. His mother's heterochromia eyes, ocean blue on his left, dark brown on his right, her button nose and her pale skin. He had his father's steel gray hair, and freckles, and most definitely his smile. As he got older, he also inherited his mother's height; he hasn't grown past 5' 5 for about a year now, hopefully he hits a growth spurt. He's tired of the other boys at his school using him as an armrest, to screw with him. Eventually he shook himself out of his thoughts and his short trip down memory lane and finished dusting the painting.