25-Step back and let God handle it

"Wow! Mommy, look at those mountains!" Charlie cried, staring out the window, clearly impressed.

"You've gotta love the hill country," Parker agreed, getting out of the SUV and coming around to open Lindy's door.

Dani tossed her a smile at Parker's consideration and saw Lindy's cheek turn pink.

"Anyone have service here?" Tanner asked, frowning at his phone.

"My phone's lost somewhere in my purse," Dani said, not waiting for Parker to open her door.

"I didn't even turn mine on today. Since Charlie is with me, I didn't see a reason."

"You don't carry it in your pocket and check it every five seconds?" Parker teased Lindy, flashing her a smile. "A woman after my heart."

Lindy's blush deepened, and she glanced down. Dani wondered if Parker had any idea how she felt about him, and decided he probably didn't. Men were oblivious.

Fishing her phone from the bottom of her purse, Dani glanced at the screen and frowned.

Tanner slid his gaze to her. "Guess you don't have service either."

"No, I do." Her stomach hollowed. There was another missed call from a number she didn't recognize.

"Good to know. I wouldn't have guessed from the way you're glaring at your screen. Something wrong?"

"I keep getting junk calls from the same number." It was most likely nothing.

"Are you worried about it?"

"No, not really."

"What is it you're not worried about?" Josh asked walking up, his gaze fastened on her.

Tanner turned to him. "Dani doesn't like junk calls."

"Who likes those?" Rachel rolled her eyes. "I get them all the time. If I don't recognize the number, I usually don't answer."

Dani nodded, wanting to change the subject. She'd unintentionally made this a bigger deal than it was. "That's what I'll do."

"It's not feasible if you have kids," Meredith said coolly. "You may not know the number of every school employee, doctor, or maybe even another parent. Right, Lindy?"

Looking decidedly uncomfortable, Lindy stammered, "I guess so."

Meredith was pointing out how little Dani knew about being a mother, and Dani got the message loud and clear. Her stomach hollowed. A light hand settled around her shoulders and Dani glanced up and saw Ty watching her with warmth in his eyes.

"If we get started now, we can probably be all set up by nightfall," Ty announced, changing the subject.

Dani was grateful.

***

Josh didn't like the way Dani was looking at Ty.

Like he was her hero. Which he kind of was with the way he'd stepped in after Meredith tried to put Dani in her place. He knew Mer didn't mean anything by it, and she'd later regret speaking out of turn. What bothered him was that Ty was the one who'd helped Dani while he'd just stood there.

"If you don't stop glaring at Ty, you're going to cause drama." Caleb kept smiling and looking straight ahead when he delivered that piece of advice.

Josh frowned, surprised. He was glaring?

Caleb chuckled. 

"Didn't realize I was."

"Do you realize your new pastor is not a threat to you?" Caleb drawled, handing him some stakes, and emphasizing Ty's job title.