twenty four

Grayson

There's an uncertainty in football. In any sport, really. The best team doesn't always win. It's the best team on any given night. Sometimes you just get lucky and that's what causes a win.

The pressure of this game has been weighing on all of us. As the leader, I'm taking it the hardest.

For some of the underclassmen, they don't know if they'll get back here next year. I know I won't. This could be my last college football game ever. I need to make every second count.

Aside from Maya, this game is the most important thing right now. My team is counting on me, so I have to push past all the bullshit of my deadbeat father showing up unannounced. I have to be on my A game.

Coach Hank comes into the locker room about twenty minutes before the game is about to start. He makes a beeline directly for me.

"How are you feeling? Nervous?" He lets out a small breath.

"A little." I admit with a nod. "The size and noise of the crowd already sounds intense."

I can hear the thousands of people screaming from here. The music they're playing beforehand is already blaring through my ears.

"I saw your dad." He says, allowing me to cringe as I pop in my mouth guard. "Any other friends or family coming tonight?"

"My girlfriend is here." I say with a smile spreading onto my lips.

"That's good, I'm sure she's very proud. I know I am." He places his hand on my back.

"Thank you for always looking out for me, Coach." I inhale a shaky breath. "Especially for covering my ass with that stink bomb."

"You're a good kid and an even better player. I'm honored to have you as my quarterback." He smiles. "Now, when you get out onto the field, do a quick scan of the crowd. Get it over with. Soak it in. When you're overwhelmed in the game, just think of something calm."

"Thanks, Coach." I turn to leave, but then stop. "Do you miss it?"

He gives me a confused look.

I hold the football up that's in my hand. "This. Playing ball. The nerves and anticipation before a big game. All of it."

He nods slowly and a smile transforms his face, as if he's lost in the memories. "For me, football was an outlet. It was family. I had some good times out there and I don't regret a single second of it. You shouldn't either."

"Never." I say before grabbing my helmet and walking out of the locker room. The nerves from earlier turn into adrenaline. God, I love playing this game. I love the energy it gives me.

Before I can catch up with Ethan, my feet come to a halt when I notice Maya standing toward the end of the hallway. She's bundled up, mostly because it feels like Antarctica outside. There's a navy blue beanie on her head along with a hoodie and a jacket.

The best part about her appearance? The poster-board in her hand that says Dolan #36 in big bold letters on it.

"Mia." I smirk and approach her. "Is that all for me?"

She wastes no time to wrap her arms around my neck, embracing me into a tight hug. "I made it as soon as I got into my hotel room. I needed it to cheer you on."

"It's adorable, just like you." I cup her face in my hands and look into her eyes.

"I'm so excited for you, Gray. This is a huge moment." The way her voice is an octave higher, showing off her enthusiasm, warms my heart. This girl means everything to me.