Chapter 5: You're Not Yourself

Dovey POV

The brightness of the sun woke me up the next morning. I groaned when I moved my legs, feeling the injured ankle. I looked at the bandage and then noticed I had my nightgown on.
Since my throat was really dry I took a sip of water from the bottle I always kept on my nightstand. After a few minutes where I tried to get my cardiovascular system moving, I remembered what happened the night before and buried my face in my hands.

'Probably a nice show for Lesso, seeing me drunk after a little bit of wine. Damn that's embarrassing... But why did she do all this then? Bringing me here, changing my dress, putting a bandage on my ankle...'

Confused by my colleague's actions I tried to get up, which was absolutely not possible. A few more tries later I fell back on the mattress with a little pain filled cry.
At that point, I heard a faint knock on my wooden double door.
Turning my head, I saw Emma walking in with a tray in her hands.

"Breakfast for the poor, sick fairy?", the beauty teacher asked with her usual warm smile.

"Thanks, Emma...I can't believe I was so stupid. What did Lesso tell you?"

"Only that you tripped over a rock in the garden. What's wrong with you lately? You're pretty unfocused", the other woman grinned.
"Do you have a crush on someone?"

"What? No, I'm just stressed out. The last thing I need now is a relationship."

"Understandable with all those new, chaotic students. But don't worry, we got your classes for the next two days covered."

"That's amazing, thank you..."

When Emma had left I thought about her words. Even if I said I didn't want a relationship, waking up alone every single morning and not having anyone to share my dreams and desires with was kinda depressing.
'It's the most important thing we get told. Evers can't live without love. Physically yes but not mentally. We're not made to be alone. Even the kids are starting to date already.'

Lesso POV

I actually woke up without any negative consequences from the wine and I definitely had much more than Clarissa. While doing my small skincare routine and my dark make up as always I thought about visiting her later that day.

Even if she was an Ever, she could be funny to be around.
'Please, she's just trying to make you act nicer. Remember how annoying she can be with all that smiling and that stupid conversations about feelings and healthy habits. She's lucky I don't smoke.'
I drew my sharp eyeliner with a few well practiced movements and ran my fingers through my hair. Unlike Manley and the other Never teachers I wasn't trying to look ugly or repulsive. My appearance gave me confidence and power.

When I joined the others in the cafeteria for breakfast, Anemone approached me again I couldn't help it but rolled my eyes.

"Can you tell me in detail what happened to Clarissa?"

"I thought I already told you everything. Did you even listen to me? She went for a walk in the garden and tripped. That's it.", I answered annoyed.

"Clarissa doesn't trip, she knows how to walk in those shoes."

"Listen, beauty teacher. It's 8 am, I have to deal with the most useless students ever today and the last thing I need is you behaving like one of them. Why is everyone trying to make me have a mental breakdown?"

Anemone rolled her eyes at me and decided to leave it alone, definitely one of her smartest decisions.

3rd person view

After breakfast, the evil Dean decided to look after Clarissa once. She didn't even know why she cared. Did she care?
The redhead knocked at the older woman's door.
"It's me, princess."
Clarissa was surprised to see Lesso entering her room with her usual teasing smirk.

„Well well, who do we have here?", she chuckled lowly.
"What did we learn yesterday?"

"Oh no, don't use that teacher attitude on me, Lesso. I know it was stupid but I didn't think that little amount of wine would knock me out. Why did you even help me? I mean you brought me here, changed my dress, put the cream and the bandage on my wound. You didn't even tell Emma that I was drunk."

"You're asking too many questions, dove. I haven't told them yet but I still can so watch your mouth", the witch said with a light smirk.

In reality, Lesso couldn't even explain her behavior to herself. She knew it was unusual for her to be that helpful.

"You know, I feel like you're not yourself at the moment. You're drinking at noon, you're crying in front of your classroom but at the same time you became somehow soft", Dovey said yawning.

The redhead's smile immediately disappeared.
"Listen, I don't know what you heard or think you saw. I don't cry and I didn't go soft", she replied with narrowed eyes and a cold voice.
"You know nothing about me and my life and I suggest you stop invading my privacy before you regret it."

With that, the redhead left Clarissa's room.
'I can't act nice, that's not who I am or who I'm supposed to be. Being friendly makes you weak and manipulable..'

The witch went to her first lesson with the new students, especially overlooking Sophie.
'What does she have that I don't, Rafal? Why is this stupid wannabe princess a better Never than me...?'

"Okay, we're doing some theoretic work now. I wanna see how much you already know", Lesso stated demotivated and handed out some simple worksheets.
'Hopefully they have some previous experience..I have to work with something if we wanna beat the Evers for once...'

The redhead let them work in silence while doing her own paperwork.

"Doesn't she look a little hungover?", Hester whispered to her friends.

"Either that or she's had a long night because of something else",
Anadil grinned.

"SILENCE! I'M NOT HERE TO WASTE MY TIME ON YOUR STUPIDITY AND CARELESSNESS!"

This lesson was practically torture for the evil Dean.
'Maybe I should hurt my ankle too, then I'd at least have some rest...'

When the students left for the next class, Lesso let her head fall onto the desk. Rafal's presence, the useless new class and Dovey invading her privacy constantly while she still managed to bring out the little amount of friendliness in her, made the redhead lose her mind.
'That has to stop. No weakness, no unnecessary kindness, hard shell and hard core...'

—————————————————————————
Heyy:) I have to admit it's kinda hard for me to structure my story, to find an organized course of events. I'd be thankful for any kind of advice!