9: Alone with My New Thoughts

Harper flopped onto her bed, looking up at the dimly lit ceiling. She let her thoughts swirl in her head as the lingering effects of the alcohol made the room spin slowly.

Why was she so nervous when Nic wouldn't look at her? Why would she get that way? She never got like that. Ever.

Was it the alcohol? Yes. It was. It was definitely the alcohol. All she needed to do was drink water, lots of it, and go to sleep.

Her hand ventured to her phone and she looked through her texts with Alice. She started to type a message, but deleted it.

She started typing again. Looking at her fingers hovering over the letters, she quickly deleted the text.

Letting her arms fall to her sides she let go of her phone.

A single knock came from the door of the bathroom she shared with her sister, then the door opened.

"Harper?" Her sister asked, leaning on the doorway. She had one brow raised and a smirk on her face.

"What the fuck do you want?"

Her sister giggled, "No way..."

"Riley," she sat up, "what the fuck do you want?"

"You're drunk!" Riley scoffed in disbelief. She shook her head, "Wow. My sister going out and getting drunk in a town where she has no friends. Were you out at a party or something?"

"No."

"Don't lie! You should've brought me!" She crossed her arms, "All my friends are at their beach houses right now. I wish somebody around was throwing. I need a party."

"Riley," Harpers tone grew increasingly annoyed, "go to bed."

"Ugh," she groaned, "you never hang out with me anymore. We talked more when you were gone than when you're actually here."

Harper opened her mouth for a rebuttal but Riley had already shut the door.

She sighed and pressed the heels of her hands to her eyes.

Great. First Nic doesn't want to talk to me, and now Riley doesn't want to.

Harper sat up and left her room to roam the darkness of the house. She went down the stairs to the kitchen where she grabbed a glass from the cabinet and filled it with water.

Stepping back, she leaned back on the kitchen island. Staring at the silhouette of the glass of water in her hand, she almost expected it to light up and tell her what the hell she was doing and maybe her fortune too.

She downed the glass of water and filled it up again, only to take it upstairs with her.

In her dark room, she layed in her bed thinking about the night, the car ride.

Nic was so much less talkative than usual... was it because Harper was drunk and she didn't want to deal with that? Nothing made sense.

Harper put her hands to her face and let out a long exhale. Why couldn't she stop thinking about it all? Why was she overthinking everything? She hardly got like this.

She sat up and grabbed the glass of water, drinking about half of it.

It's just the alcohol. Once she flushes it out with water, she'll stop overthinking it all.

She layed back down and grabbed her phone.

She opened her texts with Alice. Her fingers hovered over the letters, before she softly grumbled and tossed her phone away.

What was she gonna do? Ask Alice for Nic's number? Tell her all about the drive and how literally nothing happened between them?

No, that's stupid. Alice would probably just tell me I'm being stupid.

Harper dragged her hands over her face, I just have to go to sleep then I'll forget all of this. Sleep it off.

That's all it is, just the alcohol.