Chapter 1: Unfortunate Encounter

Early in the morning, the sounds of wood chopping could be heard behind a rather quaint café. With a swift strike of her steel axe, the remaining log split cleanly in half. Wiping the sweat from her brows, she turns to the open kitchen window. Holding up a thumbs up, she smiles brightly at her wife, Reika, who returns the smile as she prepares their morning coffee. Lylah, who was the one chopping the wood, has dark brown skin and braided black hair. Some of the box braids including multi-colored strands of blue, pink, and yellow added a unique charm to her, as it had been tied up into a ponytail so as not to get in the way. Entering the kitchen was one of their sons, (y/n), who had just finished setting up the café.

"Ah thank you, (y/n). Where is your brother?" Okane asked, pouring a cup of coffee for herself and Lylah. Okane had medium-length black hair, with some bangs that were swept to the side. Her skin was rather fair, and she was a bit shorter than (y/n) though not by much.

"Asher is at the academy, he said he wanted to ask our uncle about something." (y/n) responded, handing the steaming mug of black coffee over to his mom, Lylah. She ruffled his hair, thanking him as she took a massive gulp from the mug, seemingly not even registering the scolding heat as half of the mug's content disappeared in a flash.

"Phew, that's hot!" She exclaims.

"Honey, no one's going to take your coffee from you," Okane said.

"Isn't coffee best when it's drunk while it's hot and your coffee is the best! Isn't that right, (y/n)?" Lylah smiled.

Your pov

"Um, I mean sort of? Mom's coffee is good, but not worth burning your throat for." I remarked.

"Eh? But she does it too!" Mom said, calling out Mom who I saw doing the same, even going as far as adding piping hot cream into her already scalding hot coffee along with a spoonful of sugar.

"Well, coffee aside-" Mom said, slightly flustered being caught red-handed, placing down the mug she had been sipping on. "-Honey, did you prep the dough for the morning batch?" She asked.

"Yeah, it should be done proofing, I was going to fire up the oven in a bit. Actually (y/n), on that note could you get me some Visalvius? They should have some at the local market." Mom asked. Huh, why would she need them? Since whatever was at the market wouldn't be good quality, since it wasn't harvesting season yet.

"Uh sure, but they're not going to be ripe though," I said, since unripe Visalvius was incredibly tart.

"Don't worry about that, actually get all the unripe ones if possible. I'm going to make your uncle a special home brew drink for his 44th birthday."

"What about the café?" I asked, seeing how it was very close to opening.

"Don't worry about that, your moms can handle it. If you see your brother or uncle, tell them we said hi. Also, don't mention the drink, it's going to be a surprise!" Mom smiled, nodding I turned towards the wall rack to hang up my apron. "Also, here's some money. At most, it'll cost a gold coins and several silver, but just in case take this. If there's any left, feel free to buy yourself a treat." Mom added, pressing the small pouch of coins firmly into my hands.

"O-oh thank you." I said, while washing my hands and drying them. Just as I was going into my room a few things for the trip. I heard one of my moms yell-

"-AND ACTUALLY TREAT YOURSELF! IF I FIND OUT YOU ONLY SPENT MONEY ON SUPPLIES YOU'RE GOING TO GET AN EARFUL MISTER!"

I could hear my other mom laughing, but while I did feel guilty spending so much money on myself. I also didn't want to have to deal with being told I don't take care of myself. Walking up to the third floor or the attic that I shared with Asher, I went to grab a few things and placed them into a woven wicker basket. It was just a few miscellaneous things, like glass jars, a towel and some medication that my mom procured for me. Hmm, that should be all, not like I'm going to be out all day, I should get going.