Chapter 4: The Great Mother's Blessing

Author's Note:
Alright, you lucky folks! EARLY chapter as well as LONG chapter, because I will be away and unable to post when I had planned to this coming Monday. :) I didn't want to make ya'll wait until Tuesday next week. 
This one's a rollercoaster, so I hope you enjoy the ride!

***

The crisp morning air always carried with it the invigorating scent of the forest flora around them. As light began to grow across the horizon at the end of eclipse, the sweet blooms and fragrant flower pods that had closed for the night re-opened to greet the new day. Naia knelt in comfortable silence with Mo'at and Leylani among the luminous leaf-vines at the sacred site of Vitrautral (Tree of Souls).

They had flown down from High Camp earlier this morning as Mo'at had decided to hold their weekly prayer session here instead of in her hut, which was their usual place of prayer. There was an important matter being held in discussion at the clan council currently, Mo'at had remarked to Naia, and the Great Mother's guidance was vital to achieve the right outcome.

Naia did not know what was being deliberated over by the council and in truth, she was so engrossed in her bliss from the previous night that she did not care to even ask. The subtle weight of the pendant that now adorned her chest was a beautiful reminder of why. Thank you Great Mother, for this path that you have blessed me to walk...

The comforting rush of their ancestors' voices swirled through the bond she had made with the hallowed tree, and Naia relaxed into her meditation. Eyes closed in contemplation, she smiled a silent smile to herself. Neteyam loved her. They had made love last night and it was everything she had ever dreamed of.

Neteyam had been exceedingly gentle with her at first, but once Naia had convinced him that he had not caused her any hurt, he had been urgent and impassioned in his desire. He had been generous and attentive to her pleasure and Naia had discovered, in turn, that she too enjoyed watching him respond to the pleasure she brought him. After a short catnap following their initial lovemaking, they had been unable to stem the fervour of their newfound need for each other and they had tangled with each other one more time.

Overjoyed was not an adequate enough word to describe how idyllically happy Naia felt.

Chanted words spilled from the tsahìk's lips and Leylani's own murmurs mirrored Mo'at's as they prayed. Leylani did not fail to notice the silence to her left where Naia sat though. Cracking open an eyelid, she peered at her friend out of the corner of one eye. A serene smile was dancing across Naia's lips, and all over face and body, her syuratan (bioluminescent spots) twinkled and shone brightly against her cobalt skin. Naia's tail was relaxed and lay in a gentle curl at her side, but the little tuft at the end was dancing to and fro.

Happiness radiated from Naia in an unspoken glow and Leylani felt tender kindliness burst in her own chest at the sight. Her friend was blessedly happy today and it was the kind of joy that Leylani knew came only from that of an amorous affair. The beautiful necklace around Naia's neck was new too. Leylani studied the elegant piece of jewellery, noting that the materials it had been made from were foreign and not anything she had seen here before. She grinned, full of gladness for her friend. She did not even need to guess who had gifted Naia the piece of jewellery.

As discreetly and soundlessly as possible, Leylani shuffled closer to Naia and gave her a playful nudge with a bump of her hip. Naia's eyes flew open in question at Leylani who emitted a poorly stifled giggle.

"What are the two of you doing over there?" Mo'at's chanting stopped and her voice was a drawl as her amber eyes peeled open to dissect her two students.

Giggling uncontrollably now, Leylani peeped out between her tittering, "Manaia's distracted. She's not even praying."

Naia's jaw dropped and she goggled at being called out by her friend, "Yes, I am! I was giving thanks and reverence to our Great Mother."