The Race

POV: Valentino "Live life at full throttle

POV: Valentino
"Live life at full throttle." - Unknown
Summer #3

"Ready."

When I showed up at Brooklyn's door three days ago, I had one agenda: Try to persuade Brooks to give me a chance, pray to Gods that it would work, then leave, but once I heard her screams, I knew that things wouldn't go as planned.

Ironically, my chest ache at the thought of someone hurting her. With the stress from my job and my father's death, I didn't think to make sure she was protected at all costs. Made Men don't hesitate to kidnap Don's wives, girlfriends, or sisters, and I didn't realize how selfish I was until I thought she was gone.

No wonder she hesitated to trust me, I'm just a selfish fucker who can't protect people closets to him. Memories of me hiding in the closet when my father was beating my mama resurface. The way I clamped around my hand over my mouth to muffle my cries still causes a ball to get stuck in my throat to this day.

I only hurt people in the end.

"Set."

I hate everything I'm becoming.

"GO!"

With that, I floor the gas pedal without thinking. My Toyota Supra MK IV roars at the sudden push and screams from the crowd fuels my adrenaline. I feel my earlier worries fade away as the lights from my opponent's car comes into my rearview mirror.

The twists and turns in this path are borderline suicide. One wrong move and. Crash. Burn. Your life is taken away just like that. Maybe that's why I've been racing since I got my license. Death and I are old friends. For years I prayed for her to come and get me. All I used to think about the way she would wrap herself around my body like how a snake wraps itself around its prey. The venom that would runs it way in my veins.

I relish what it would feel like so long.

When I see sharp turn coming up, I ease my foot off the gas pedal and gradually turn my car to accommodate with the turn. My car gets too close to my fence, and I hear the scratches and scraps my baby undergoes.

"Fuck," I shake my head out the cloud it was in. This had to be the worst time to be distracted.

I had the advantage before, but now Damien, my opponent, was right beside me. Little people survive when racing him, since he got off playing dirty like the sadistic person he is. I was only person that volunteer and the smug look on his face made me want to win even more.

Damien's car edges closer to him, and I pushed back, causing his car's rearview mirror to go flying. I smirk and flick him off, flashing the rings littering my hands. I was having too much fun.

"Thought you had gone soft, Valentino," he drawled the last part of name. It annoyed the hell out of me so much that he did it every time he saw me. I wonder if he ever had his neck snapped.