Chapter 43 Slumber Party

Upgraded Apartment Building

*

Quig and Grew-Ella raced home and ascended the stairs into the teacher's apartment building.

Yoleta kicked two board members to the wall.

"Betsy is fine." Madd-Ox took Quig's niece and brought her into Quig and Grew-Ella's apartment.

"We messaged Dot on her burner phone. She and Ruby reached the bunker, and Rodrick is with Hempstead, but I still can't reach Magpie's flaky co-guardian," Grew-Ella said.

Yoleta briefly bowed her head. "I'm worried about Junior. He might get killed rescuing those workhouse children."

She whispered something to Madd-Ox, and he said something in return. He didn't have the same cheeky grin. His eyes dimmed from holding back tears.

"People are dying, and I don't know where my daughter is," Quig said.

"Junior could be dead." Tears streamed down Madd-Ox's face.

Grew-Ella hugged her brother.

"At least I'm not having nightmarish visions," Yoleta said.

"If their side wins, they'll release Sean-Mack and..." Quig paused.

"I know. He'll kill us all," Yoleta said.

Dean Frog's voice boomed over the intercom. "Our school is in lockdown. Tests and classes are canceled until law and order are restored. 3D food and medicine printers are being distributed into the halls, but do not leave the building unless ordered by campus security."

Quig and Grew-Ella entered their apartment, and they watched movies with Betsy and rotating guards. Betsy fell asleep.

At nightfall, Grew-Ella and Quig took turns sleeping on the couch, while the other called Magpie's guardian, but she didn't answer.

Yoleta security guards sat outside the apartment.

Knocking and speech bolted Quig awake, but Grew-Ella headed toward the door, opening it to allow Odin and Avery-Joy to enter.

Dot, Ruby, and Snake Boy followed. He yawned and went to a guest room.

"Workhouse goons shelled Yoleta's castle," Dot said.

Ruby didn't say anything.

Betsy jumped from the guest room. "Daddy, I love you."

Odin hugged her. "We need to stay here. The full lockdown might last days, and Avery-Joy's 3D food printer isn't working."

"Ruby and I slept on the way here, so I'll cook vegetable stir-fry for breakfast. We have a lot to celebrate," Dot said.

Odin brought out his phone. "Avery-Joy and I are married, and we have photos."

"I played Reverend," Dot said to her brother and Betsy.

Betsy kissed Avery-Joy's cheek. "I love you."

"And I'll be thrilled to be your stepmother." Avery-Joy hugged her new daughter.

Grew-Ella's phone rang. "Why is my mom calling at this hour?"

"I think Junior is heading to her house. Maybe she knows if he was killed," Dot said.

She answered the phone. "Mom, did Junior make it?"

Grew-Ella listened to her mother for ten minutes. "I'm glad that Magpie is safe. May I speak to her?" She chatted for a few moments with Magpie. "I love you too, but Daddy Quig wants to talk to you."

Quig grasped the phone and listened. "I can't wait to be your full-time dad."

Grew-Ella turned to Odin and Avery-Joy. "Magpie's second cousin sold her to the workhouse, but Junior rescued her. We'll pick her up after the lockdown, but she is safe with my parents. Quig and I have her new room fully decorated."

Quig started to speak to another person. He put the phone on speaker. "Junior, thank you for saving my daughter, and I love you."

"I didn't know that children were still there until last week," Junior said. He spoke again. "Is Madd-Ox there? I need to make sure he's alive."

"I'm fine and was worried." Madd-Ox grabbed the phone.

Junior's voice cracked. "I'd be lost without you."

Madd-Ox took the phone near the door.

Betsy jumped up and down. "I want to say hi to Magpie. Uncle Quig bought a pull-out bed for whenever I visit, and we'll have even more slumber parties. I have my very own best friend-cousin."

"More than one cousin. Grew-Ella is further along than we thought and will start showing soon," Quig said.

Betsy hugged Grew-Ella.

"I know this sounds strange, but this is one of the best days of my life," Dot said.

Quig hugged his sister. "Today is a miracle."

One Month Later, "I refuse to read them."

*

Sweat and other bodily odors wafted from the empty cell. Rodrick entered and swept as other Kindness Rebels and tent villagers scrubbed the walls.

"You can't rent a room in the prison because you feel guilty," Yoleta said angrily. "Sean-Mack betrayed you."

"He's doing volunteer work. Each cell is destined for Sean-Mack's conspirators," Hempstead said. "Junior told you about the cleanup. Are you okay?"

"One thing that bothered me, why did you save Grew-Ella? Are you in love with her?" Yoleta asked Rodrick.

"Why are you asking that in front of my wife? Stop being weird." He handed the broom to Hempstead. "No, Grew-Ella saved my real son's life and is pregnant with my grandchildren. You are way off base! I've been seeing Hempstead since my second wife's death, and I might have had purposefully terrible plastic surgery to lower my status, to be with her. Sean-Mack refused."

"That makes sense, but why did Sean-Mack adopt Junior as a teen?" She stepped back, bumping into the toilet/sink mounted on the cell's wall.

"You know the reason. Are you thinking straight?" he asked.

Yoleta shook her head, 'no,' and washed her hands in the sink. "Time travel is unnerving. Rodrick, I failed my kids, and I failed Grew-Ella. She has always been like a daughter. I desperately attempted to adopt her before Karen, but my twisted belief in our laws got in my way, and my offer was rejected. I had to settle to be her godmother when she should have been mine. She was in my home until she was two years old."

He attempted a smile. "I'd do anything for my kids. Quig, Dot, and Junior are my miracles."

Yoleta's eyes closed. "I remember who Junior is now, and I hate remembering all the terrible things I did."

Ida formed from the reflection of the cell bars.

He grasped Ida's hand. "Your hand feels like flesh," Rodrick said.

"My purpose was to be reborn. Others save galaxies, but I'm here to save the individual. Please go with Yoleta."

Yoleta grabbed Rodrick's hand. "Come with me. We're still going to be punished with memories, but we'll rebuild the kingdom."

"Why do you need my help?" Rodrick asked.

"Grew-Ella is still in danger. If Flint's plan doesn't work, it's going to become violent." Yoleta rested her head in her hands. "New memories are forming. She's too strong for me to fight alone."

Ida walked out of the cell.

"Are you talking about Zill?" He asked Yoleta.

"I hate my memories." She collided with the metal bars. "But I won't fight Zill without backup."

He wept. "I can't kill."

Hempstead embraced him.