Chapter 7: Finally Sold

I laid awake for a few minutes before Onceler woke up. I knew about the animals and the Lorax sleeping here. I smiled slightly at the adorable sight in front of me. I saw Onceler's sleeping face. He was calm and was snoring lightly. He was cuddled up to me, probably freezing with the lack of blankets. His hair was messed up, probably from tossing and turning the night before.

He yawned as he woke up and saw me staring at him. "Sorry. I don't usually grab onto people when I sleep." He laughed nervously as he let me go. He then looked around and furrowed his brows as the animals woke up. He looked at the Lorax, who was standing up now. "What are they doing here?" He pointed at the animals who were using his dishes as beds. "And follow up question, if I may. What are you doing here?!" He pointed at the Lorax.."Don't be like that. We were just returning your sock, but you two looked so cozy, and it was cold outside. We hope you don't mind." Omceler sighed. "Could have at least asked.. whatever, it doesn't matter. Me and (Y/N) are going to town." He looked at me and tried climbing over me. "Sorry, this is awkward." He quickly climbed over me and ran into the other room to change into his now dry clothes.

I grabbed an outfit from the pile in a bag and got dressed. (Chose your outfit cause people have different taste!) I smiled at myself in the mirror and then walked out. The Lorax and Onceler were bickering. "You aren't going to sell that, ya know. No one wants to buy garbage." He shook his head. "I don't need you to discourage me. Let's go (Y/N)." We both walked out of the house-tent and climbed into his wagon.

The ride to town was full of conversation. We talked about the Thneed and how he was going to grow his business. The image of him and his business crashing to the ground. He then explained the dream to make his mom genuinely love him. And not just for his money. I smiled as he spoke. He seemed so sure of himself.

"Oh, we made it to town." He looked around. "A lot of people out today. That's good." I looked around. It was a small town and a small white Gazebo in the middle of town. We walked to it and stood inside. He lifted his guitar and began playing.

Every time he tried to sing, tomatoes would be thrown at him. He tried harder, wiping tomatoes off of his guitar. A little girl walked up and grabbed his guitar, smashing it on the ground. Onceler looked upset. "You know what? That's it!" Everyone awed in sadness. "My mom was right. This idea was stupid!" He threw it, and it landed somewhere. "I'm leaving." He sniffles as he walks away.

"But wait.." I tried calling after him, but he ignored me. I ran in the direction of where he threw the Thneed. I saw it land on a girl's head. "That's mine." The girl looked at her head. "This is?" I nodded. "What even is it?" A boy asked, observing the pink thneed that acted as a hat. "What is it? What is it??" I gently took the thneed off of the girl's head. "Thneeds can do the job of 1,000! It can act as a hat, a scarf, and it can even clean spills and absorb water! It's a life saver to have." I nodded, showing them the thneed as a hat and a scarf.

"Omg! I want one." Said a girl. "I want three!" Another voice came. "Are there any in different colors?" People began shoving their money in my face. "If you want, I can take you to the inventor! He would really appreciate your business." The little girl that smashed his guitar walked up to me. "Was it sold by the man with the guitar?" She held his guitar. "Yes." She pouted. "I'm sorry I smashed his guitar."

I knelt down. "The guitar was really special to him. Do you think you can help me fix it?'she nodded a bunch of times. "Good!" Before we marched to the Truffula forest, we went to a welder. He quickly fixed the guitar and even polished it, changed the strings, and tuned it. "Good luck!" I paid him and left.

I held the guitar like he showed me and began strumming. I had a few lessons from Onceler but didn't realize I knew how to play. Weird. Was this another thing i didn't remember? I held it to me as I walked back to the crowd. "Get your money ready, folks. Cause this will be a change you didn't know you thneeded." I laughed at my own thneed joke.

We marched. I played and sung happily. The Lorax and Onceler turned around quickly.

"Everybody needs a thneed! A fine thing that all the people need!" I sung as I strummed. "It can be a hat, a scarf, or anything your mind can come up with!" We all sung out as we walked down the hill. Onceler dropped his shovel in amazement. "(Y/N)??" His smile grew. People lined up, shoving money in Onceler's face. "We're in business, baby!" He laughed and grabbed his telephone. "Mom! I told you I'd make it! You have to bring the whole family down here! We're gonna be rich!" He slammed the phone down and began taking orders.

His family? I thought of the blonde lady and how Lorax told me she would be more manipulative than any of the others. So she must be his mother. The gold digger. I stood by Onceler with my arms crossed. He collected the cash and wrote down orders. He took addresses and sent people on their way.

He threw his arms around me. "Thank you, (Y/N)!" He picked me up and carried me into the house. He twirled me around. "This helped a lot! I'm so very grateful." He set me down. "Oh. They'll be here tomorrow morning! We have to tidy up!" He rushed to grab cleaning supplies. "Do you think you can tidy up and I get to making more Thneeds?" I nodded and grabbed his hand before he ran out the door.

"No matter what people try to tell you, you need to try to keep your promise with the Lorax. He and I really care about this forest and don't want to see it hurt. And I know you're better than to listen to manipulation." He furrowed his brows but relaxed his face because he couldn't think of things to say. "Okay. But I'm only doing it for you. This has nothing to do with the Lorax." He smiled a bit before leaving the house.

I began tidying up the house. I swept, mopped, did dishes, laundry, and even some rearranging. It was dark when I got done. I heard the door click open and put on Onceler's apron. "What a day." Onceler walked into the house and tossed his hat on the hat rack. "Wow, you did a good job with the place." He said as he observed. He then looked over at me and saw that I had his apron on. "Whatcha cooking?" He asked. "Dinner to celebrate your business boom." He sat down at the table and watched as I cooked.

"Smells good." He said with a smile.

About 20 minutes later, I set a meal down in front of him. He enjoyed the taste. We had a light conversation about what would happen tomorrow. His family is coming over. That is what ruins the forest. I need to change their perspective of things. I need to think like a businesswoman if I wanted to save this forest.