Company

The men rose early the next morning, before the sun had even started to show its soft glow from the horizon. But this morning was different than the prior one. There was more merriment in the camp, and men joked and talked back and forth warmly. It was quite an improvement from the days past.

As she gathered her things Zia reflected again on the brilliance of Heath's idea to get to know one another. There was less tension in the group, and the packing went more smoothly because everyone was helping each other out. Four men worked together to saddle up all the horses while laughing and talking merrily. Three others gathered supplies and helped spread the ashes of their dead campfire from last night.

Zia's thoughts were interrupted by the sound of someone clearing his throat behind her. She twirled around to find Jay. He smiled at her, but she did not return the cheerful grin; she worried that this might be the moment she had been dreading- the moment when she would be requested to share her past. Of course, Jay had asked her last night at the campfire, but he obviously hadn't expected her to answer with that number of people around... Had he?

"How did you sleep?" Jay asked.

Zia froze. That wasn't what she had expected at all. After a slight hesitation she replied, "Fine, thanks."

He nodded and they fell into silence. Avoiding Jay's eyes, Zia bent to grab her sleeping cot.

"Oh," Jay said, bending low, "let me get that."

"I've got it- Ouch!" She and the Captain both rubbed their heads where they had collided.

"Sorry, miss," Jay muttered unhappily.

Zia stared hard at him. "My name is Zia, not 'miss'."

Jay laughed. "You know, when we met you would have been too scared to say anything like that. Or anything at all for that matter."

Zia stiffened. Here it comes, she thought.

"Speaking of when you were younger, what happened to you after the execution? Now you don't have to answer," he added quickly. "I understand if you don't. I was just thought I'd ask without so many listening ears."

And there it is, Zia thought unhappily. She sighed deeply. "I went to live with Arch and Ike."

Jay snorted. "Well, I know that," he said. "Do you take me for an idiot?"

"You don't want me to answer that," Zia decided as she made her way to her horse.

"You insult me!" Jay said, feigning hurt.

"I am only returning the favor," Zia told him as she tied her belongings on the back of her horse's saddle.

His voice deep and serious, Jay asked, "How have I insulted you? I'm sorry, I meant no offense."

Zia turned to face him and looked him straight in the eye. "Captain, my past is a very painful, dark, and brooding place, and I do not wish to visit it, if I can avoid it."

"I understand," Jay said quietly. "Forgive me, but you cannot blame me for being curious. You just fell off the face of the earth. The King sent me to village to look for you to offer you protection until Daxtor could be found, but I never found you."

Zia had never known that. "I don't blame you," she  assured him. "But a lot has happened in the last few years, and I've found a new and better life. So I'm sorry if I seem cold and rude, Captain, but you played a key part in giving me this life, and now that you're back I fear you're here to take it away."

"I would never do that," Jay assured her quickly. "I'm not here to do that. I'm here to end a war."

"Then we're on the same team," she told him happily.