Opening Doors

"How far are they?" Ike asked Jay. He had left Zia in her room, and the only reason why she agreed to stay behind was because Ike had promised to return with detailed answers.

"An hour, maybe two," Jay said seriously. They were standing in a command room with a large map of the kingdoms of Otar, Skilae, Mithia, and Scullin laid out on a large table. A large balcony led to outside, where there was a great view of the tips of the tents and banners of the Skilaen army. Jay stared at the bright yellow banners with a blood-red phoenix emblazoned on them as though he were lost in thought. He looked different- older. He looked exhausted, as though he carried a heavy burden on his shoulders.

But he does carry a heavy burden, Ike reminded himself. As Captain of the Royal Guard, Jay was the highest-ranking army official, only lower than the King himself, and as such, the responsibility of the entire army rested with him.

"So, what are your orders, Captain?"

Jay was pulled out of his thoughts and stiffened his shoulders and tilted up his chin, showing confidence that Ike was sure he himself didn't have.

"We need to finish preparations for battle and get the King and Queen, the refugees, and Zia somewhere hidden and safe."

Ike snorted. "Zia won't consent to that. She determined to help, and there'll be worse than the devil to pay if she's refused."

"I will not consent either," said a deep voice.

Jay and Ike spun around to find the King, looking regal and headstrong, in the doorway. Neither of them had heard him enter.

"Your Highness," Jay said, lowering his head into a bow. Ike followed Jay's example and dipped his head.

"Captain," the King said in greeting. "Mr. Reems."

"We were just discussing the safety of the refugees and Miss Zia," Jay explained to Donathan, though he was sure the King had heard them.

"Yes, the Golden-Eyed One," said King Donathan. He turned to Ike, and Ike shifted uncomfortably under his gaze. "You say your sister will want to help?"

Ike nodded. "Yes," he said. "She's determined to do something. She won't stand idly by while others lay down their lives."

"Then I suggest we let her help," the King said.

"How?" Ike demanded before he remembered he was speaking to the King, who could easily have him hanged. "Um, I mean, what would you suggest, sire? She can't fight in her wounded state."

The King smiled as though he knew exactly what Ike had been thinking. "No, I agree, she cannot. But I suggest, if she really does have this fabled power that our enemy is so keen on possessing, that we use that to our advantage."

"Use her as bait?" Ike said incredulously, before once again remembering his manners and said, "Is that what you're suggesting, sire?"

"Of course not," Donathan said. "I would never put her in harm's way. What I am suggesting is moving her to a secure room in which she can watch the proceedings of the oncoming battle, and, if she really does have these special abilities, use them to drive our foe away."

"But she doesn't have any power," Ike protested. "I've lived with her for more than half my life, and she's never portrayed any signs of magic."

The King raised an eyebrow. "Is it magic, you call it? I would call it an extraordinary gift. And would you see any signs of such a gift unless you were looking for it?"

"Well, I guess not," Ike admitted. "But, even so, I think I'd notice if there was something different about my sister."

"But, as I understand it, you did not know the existence of the legend of the Golden-Eyed One until your journey through the Westfell Pass," the King pointed out, "so you would not know to look for such things in her."