3 - 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑺𝒎𝒆𝒍𝒍 𝒐𝒇 𝑹𝒂𝒊𝒏

(A/N): Hey guys, this is gonna be a shorter oneshot and not my traditional writing format cuz I'm bored.

口ㄗモれ工れム

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The smell of rain.
For some reason, I can't get enough of it.
There's just something so alluring about that intoxicating aroma. As a detective, I should always have a reason for something. But for that mystery, I feel more clueless than a noseless hound. It's been teasing my mind for the past couple of hours as the open window keeps pumping in that soothing smell. I should probably keep my focus on the figure that's been standing on the other side of the door to my office for the past 5 minutes. The soft knock gives me an idea of what I'm working with.

Spider-Man: Come in.

As the figure slowly but surely entered my small apartment office, I can tell that the mid-20s woman had something biting the back of her mind. I gestured toward the open chair across from my desk. She quietly sat, avoiding eye contact. Kayama tells me that my masked appearance can be... off-putting.

Noir: How can I be of help? Ms...

Carmen: Mori...

Still avoiding the eye line of my mask, I lean forward to cut to the chase.

Noir: You're in a safe space, Ms. Mori. You can trust me. Now, how can I be of help?

Taking her time and taking charge of her breathing, she finally turned towards me.

Carmen: This is about my fiancé, Yuto. He's been acting weird and I recently found out he's been meeting with this woman.

Now that sure was a curveball. Most women who had any doubts about the fidelity of their man tended to have a temper about it... Not that I'll know too much about that.

Noir: ...Well, listen, Ms. Mori, that seems to appear to be outside my knowledge of expertise.

Carmen: It's not like that Mr. Spider-Man. I came to you because I believe she's involved in criminal behavior. My gut tells me that my fiancé is in trouble and the police won't believe me without any solid evidence. He's scared but he won't tell me anything.

Noir: Hmm... And the plot thickens. When's the next time he's meeting her?

Carmen: Tonight, by the old Chuobohatei docks.

Why's it always by the damn docks?

Noir: I'll take a look around the place and get back to you. Keep your phone on hand just in case.

She gives me a small but grateful smile as she stands and bows. We exchange contact numbers before she leaves me be in my office. Filing cabinets and a bookcase fill the left side of the room. On the other is my desk with a coffee maker, a gift from a close friend, filled halfway with yesterday's cup of joe.

Rising to my feet and stretching my back, I let out a sigh. Just knowing that crime is a never-ending battle can really kill the mood. But it's the job I signed up for. A childhood dream come true, but not in the way I imagined. As I grab my coat and hat from the coat rack, I take one last look at the hanging frame of Uncle Benjamin. Remembering the promise I made in his last moments. Once dressed, I step out the window and swing towards my destination, the smell of rain filling my senses.