Pt. 2 Twenty-Seven

I came to in Adrian's arms, being carried expertly like a Princess.

I could only groan, resting my head on his shoulder. I felt quite sore and content at the moment.

He had bloody better be taking me back to his bed.

Lucky for him, he was.

Soon enough I was wrapped up safe and sound in my master's arms.

###

"Here's your coffee, sir, and your plain blueberry bagel. And here's a recent fax that came in for you. Is there anything else I can get you, sir?" I smiled politely, hands demurely clasped in front of myself.

I stood there in my flats today, pretending I wasn't incredibly sore in all sorts of indecent places.

Adrian looked up at me and he mirrored my polite smile. "Thank you, Eve. Yes, actually, there is one more thing. Call Beacher back and tell him we'll be attending the fundraiser after all."

I blinked. "Sir? We are? I thought you hated those things."

He had already returned to his laptop, dismissing me. He glanced at me with a touch of impatience in his eyes now at my question. "I do, but with you there with me, it won't be so bad, will it, poppet?

"Oh, and call the number I emailed you. I want you to schedule an appointment to get yourself something custom made for the event. Something formal, classy.

"Email the color you decide on to Sebastian so he can let my tailor know. I want our outfits to complement each other, hmm?"

I simply stared at him, stunned speechless.

He was being exceptionally highhanded at the moment, but I couldn't deny that I was a little bit excited to get a custom gown. I'd never had anything custom made for me before.

"O-oh. Okay." I faltered.

He flicked his gaze my way once more. "That's 'Yes, sir', I believe."

I sucked my breath in sharply. I inwardly both seethed and squirmed, because I both loved it and hated it when he talked to me like that.

"Yes, sir!" I squeaked, then I dutifully went scuttling back to my desk, trying not to grin like a total idiot.

I immediately checked my email and started Googling types of formal dresses. I didn't even remember to call Beacher until the late afternoon.

###

On my lunch break, I went alone to my favorite café down the street. Adrian was having a video conference with his Japanese business associates so I had a rare afternoon to myself.

I could even go get my hair styled and my nails done for the fundraiser, if I wanted. I knew Adrian wouldn't mind, and I barely ever had the time to spend all the money I made, I mused.

Yes, I would take myself for a lavish spa day, I decided, before my gown fitting, which I'd managed to schedule for later that day. It was amazing the doors Adrian's name would open.

It all had me feeling very "Pretty Woman", in the best possible way.

At the crowded little café, I tucked myself into a corner and finally set to checking the messages from my sister.

I had many to read over.

Lyndsey was positively freaking out. She hadn't liked what I'd said and she liked my radio silence even less.

First she apologized for making a drunken mistake, but I could tell by the tone of her following messages that she didn't really think she'd done anything wrong. She also seemed to think that I'd overreacted.

I sighed to myself as I reached the last message from her.

'Come on Evie stop being childish. I'm ur big sister u have 2 talk 2 me again eventually! I said I'm sorry ok? Plz just let me kno ur alright.'

Guilt, guilt, guilt.

I sighed again, taking a moment to sip my chai latte and nibble on my white chocolate drizzle scone before even attempting to reply to her.

Finally, after a few deep breaths, I managed to text out what I thought was a lucid and even lovely reply.

'Hey sis, sorry 4 late response. Just been super overwhelmed and dealing w the fallout w Adrian. He's been really upset about R. Anyway we're both over it now! Hope all is well w u!'

I sent it, waited a beat, then typed out another message to her. 'Going 2 Salon D'Dreame right meow actually. Wanna come?! Spa girls day?!'

I got a response back from her sooner than expected.

'Hey glad ur ok. No I can't go to the salon right now. Some of us have real jobs, E.'

I blinked. I even had to read the message over again.

Wow! Some of us, huh? Just not me, I guess.

I could only surmise that while I might be over it now, Lyndsey had clearly worked herself into something of a state over the whole debacle.

She could be a real pill sometimes, if her delicate feelings got stubbed somehow, even if it wasn't wholly fair.

I didn't even know how to respond so I just didn't.

As I put my oversized iPhone down – a recent upgrade with a fancy rose gold sparkle case – I received another message.

This one was from Adrian.

Even after all this time, working for him, sleeping with him, I still got a chill every time he texted me. My heart still started to beat a little faster.

God, I had it bad.

I picked up my phone again, smiling as I peered at the message.

'Your 30 min break has run over by 3 mins. Where r u?'

I snickered softly to myself. Adrian would never admit it, but he needed me around for moral support more than anything.

I texted him back sweetly. 'I was actually hoping to have the afternoon off 2 go 2 the salon. Since, u kno, u sprung that we're going 2 the fundraiser this weekend on me?'

A few seconds went by before I got his response. 'Alright, but I expect u home immediately after your tailoring session with Lucia. Is that clear?'

I blushed and squirmed even though he wasn't even here. 'Yes sir!' I swiftly replied.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

God, a spa day sounds nice, doesn't it?!

HRH