Craving

Yumiko walked into the house, shutting the door behind her with a sigh of relief.

"Hey babe! How'd the interview go?" Josuke asked, walking into the front hall and taking Yumiko's purse, hanging it up on the coat rack.

"I'm exhausted, and your mom's school is a little weird," Yumiko sighed, "I hope I don't get that job, I love your mom but her school just gives me the creeps."

"I really liked the sound of that one TA position you applied for at that one school, the highschool up on the other side of town where you'd be helping out that elderly teacher," Josuke replied as Yumiko kicked off her shoes.

"I liked that one too, it was a nice place," she added with a smile, "I don't think I can make dinner tonight, I'm really tired, could you order some food?"

"Actually, I made dinner! I thought you might be tired so I whipped something up when I got home!" Josuke said proudly.

"You…did?" Yumiko asked through clenched teeth, "great, let's eat!"

Josuke brought Yumiko to the table and sat her down before placing a plate in front of her.

"Bone apple teeth!" He said happily before sitting down across from her.

Yumiko poked her fork at the crispy remnants of broccoli on her plate, liquified mashed potatoes flooding the rest of the food, while a bubbling piece of chicken looked as if it was about to burst.

"Looks delicious babe," Yumiko mumbled, piercing a piece of broccoli with her fork and taking a bite.

"So, what do you think? I know I'm not the best cook but I'd say this was a good try," Josuke said, his eyes sparkling with hope.

"Josuke, this is amazing!" Yumiko exclaimed, shovelling the food into her mouth.

Josuke smiled before taking a bite, his face turning sour and his lips puckering, "god, there's so much lemon juice, you think this is good?" He asked, spitting out his broccoli into a napkin.

"It's perfect!" She said, beaming.

Josuke chuckled to himself, pushing his plate across the table, "you can have mine then, I'm going to order some ramen."

Yumiko looked at Josuke, pouting, "you're ordering ramen and not getting any for me?"

Josuke's eyes grew wide as he picked up the phone and called a familiar number.

"Mom, I need help…"

—------------------------------------------------------

"You've hit the cravings point, when I was pregnant with you and Yukako, I ate everything I could see, Grandpa hated it," Tomoko said, setting down a bowl of ramen in front of Yukako, who sat on the couch, "you just need to keep her healthy Josuke, this is a kid with Joestar blood after all, they eat a ton," Tomoko chuckled, rolling her eyes.

"Seriously?" Josuke asked, looking at Yumiko.

"Have you seen me lately Josuke? This kid is growing fast!" She replied, pointing at her stomach that appeared to be bloated.

"I thought that was just you," Josuke mumbled.

"No, that's your kid," Tomoko said, grabbing her purse, "I have to grade papers, I love you," she said, kissing Josuke's cheek before ducking out the door.

"Love you too mom…," Josuke sighed, turning to Yumiko, who glared at him.

"I thought that was just you?" She asked, annoyed, "how do you think that makes me feel?"

Josuke sighed, "I'm sorry Yumiko, I didn't notice, and I never said anything because I know you overthink a lot," he added, moving to sit beside her, "I wish you said something though, this is big news!"

Yumiko rolled her eyes, "I'm the one that's big, and exhausted, it's taking everything I have to stay awake," she mumbled, setting her ramen down on the coffee table.

"Well yeah, your body's working overtime to create a human being," Josuke sighed, flopping onto the couch and resting his head on Yumiko's lap, "our human being by the way, so it's extra special."

Yumiko smiled softly, and cradled Josuke's cheek in her hand, "that's true, this might be the last one though, I don't think I have the energy to do this all over again," she sighed with a light giggle.

"That's up to you, I just hope you'll hear me out," Josuke said, "being an only child is really lonely, I've had like hamsters and shit like that but it doesn't replace having a sibling, I learned that later on," he sighed, turning on his side so he face Yumiko's stomach, gently resting a hand on her side, "I don't want the same for them."

Yumiko leaned back a bit, and gently squeezed Josuke's shoulder, "you make a good case, you just look really dumb from up here," she said with a soft smile, "but that's what I love so much about you, you've got a big heart Josuke, I don't think just one kid will complete it, but we'll see," she replied.

Josuke smiled, hand still on the side of her stomach before looking up at her, "could I look a little closer?" He asked.

"Yeah sure," Yumiko said, lifting her shirt over her stomach and tucking her sweatpants under it.

Josuke's eyes stared at her skin, every mole, dot, freckle, and mark, all of it exactly where it had been before.

"Hey kiddo," Josuke said, "I love you so much."

Josuke pressed a gentle kiss to Yumiko's stomach and smiled.

"I love you too Yumiko."

—------------------------------------------------------

Yumiko grabbed the phone off the receiver as it rang incessantly, holding it up to her ear.

"Hello?" She asked, "That's me, how can I help you?"

She nodded to herself, listening to the person on the phone before her eyes grew wide, her smile beaming, "yes! Absolutely! I'd love to! Thank you so much!" She exclaimed, "I'll be there! Thank you!"

She hung up the phone and squealed, hopping around the kitchen.

"What's going on?" Josuke asked, entering the kitchen.

"I got the job! I got the job! The one at the nice school!" Yumiko exclaimed, throwing herself into Josuke's arms, "they want me to come in for training tomorrow!"

"Congratulations babe! I'm so proud of you!" Josuke chuckled, kissing Yumiko's cheek.