Chapter 03

Kairos Sullivan (Point of View)

Nakatingin kaming dalawa ni Alexander sa dalawang taga UST na naglalakad papalayo mula sa'min. I specifically staring at one person and that is Destin.

Destin

"Do you like that guy?" Tanong ni Alex, nakatingin siya sa'kin nag-aantay ng sagot ko.

I turned to him. "Don't be silly."

He scoffed. "Iba yung tingin mo, eh. May something," ulat niya gamit ang panunuksong tinig.

Tinaasan ko siya ng isang kilay. "How about you? This is the first time I saw you react to someone like that. You're collected and composed most of the time but you lose your cool over what? Dahil natapunan ka ng kape sa damit?"

Ngumisi si Alex at tinanaw ang lalaki na nakatapon ng kape sa damit niya. "Bakit ba? Cute niya magalit, eh."

Weirdo.

"And now he hates you."

Nagkibit balikat lang siya at binalingan ulit ako. "I can change that."

"Whatever, Alex. Mauuna na ako."

Tumango siya. "Ge, bro. Di ka dadalo sa after party?"

"I'll try to catch up."

"Sige, ingat ka." Tumango nalang ako at umalis na.

I'm sitting across from my father in a spacious corner office, lined with shelves of books and adorned with framed achievements of him and the company.

Father leans back in his leather chair, an air of authority surrounding him. His eyes pierce through me as he begins the conversation.

"Emotions have no place in the boardroom..."

I can see that. He keeps on telling me that I should not let my emotions get ahead of me. Emotional people are weak for him. Kaya nga hindi siya ganon ka expressive sa emotion niya.

"I understand, Dad, but isn't there room for empathy and compassion in running a company?" Pagkokontra ko sa sinabi niya.

Father scoffs dismissively, his expression unyielding.

"Empathy is weakness, Kairos. You can't afford to care about the feelings of others," he seriously said. "The business world is a battlefield, and you must be prepared to crush your competition without hesitation."

My brows furrowed. "But what about the well-being of the employees and building strong relationships with our partners? Won't that contribute to our long-term success?"

My father's eyes narrow. "Employees are expendable, Kairos. Their loyalty is brought with a paycheck," his tone growing sharper. "As for the partners, they are only useful until they no longer serve our interests. Remember, sentimentality is the enemy of profitability."

My father is indeed a monster in the business field. He shows no empathy, no emotions, and no compassion.

My gaze drops to the desk, my mind wrestling with conflicting values that I am being taught.

"Is it possible to be strong without sacrificing our humanity?"

My father leans forward. "Naiveté won't get you far, kairos. The world of business is cutthroat. If you want to survive, you must embrace your ruthless nature and leave compassion for the weak," his voice is dripping with disdain.

My shoulder slumped. I feel like a heavy burden settled upon me. Parang hindi ko kaya. I know I look cold and emotionless but I am not that heartless and ruthless. I keep my emotions because that's what my parents, especially, him, my dad taught me.