Chapter 28

Ashanti had decided to get a new bedroom set and leave what her mother had bought for her room there in case they had guests. The young woman didn't need anything fancy and figured she'd get the bare necessities so she could move in quickly. Everything else she could pick up a little at a time. Isis thought her idea was a good one especially with Ashanti on a budget. Isis told her daughter they could go around to the thrift shops and see what kinds of furniture they could pick up for her apartment. The older woman suggested she get all new appliances and dishes earning a head nod in return. After dinner, Ashanti helped her mother clean up. Happy moved back into the living room to settle down for the night and watch TV. Ashanti headed back to her room to continue her packing after she was done helping her mother. Isis headed upstairs to take a hot bubble bath and relax for a little while before joining her husband downstairs to watch TV. The following day being Sunday, neither Ashanti nor Isis had to work so the elder woman decided they'd do some shopping for Ashanti's new apartment to help get her moved in.

Happy was going to lounge around, tinker with his bike some, watch some TV and just relax. The two women headed out to do some shopping after breakfast. Ashanti was very excited at the prospect of officially moving into her apartment. It meant she was a real adult now. She had responsibilities. She was working in her chosen profession. The first stop of the day one a thrift store in the middle of town. Ashanti found a nice but gently used sofa, two armchairs, and a coffee table she liked. When she was paying for her items, she was able to set up a time for delivery to her new apartment. Having that done, Isis took her to another thrift store on the edge of town. There Ashanti found a decent Queen-sized bed and bedroom set she liked that had a dresser, armoire, and two bedside tables. She paid for her purchases and set up a time for delivery. There were a few hours before the deliveries so Isis took her daughter to a store to pick up dishes, pots and pans, appliances, utensils, and other kitchen and bathroom items for her apartment. The back of Isis' vehicle was full by the time they were done shopping. There was about an hour before the deliveries were supposed to come so the pair headed to Ashanti's apartment to unload her vehicle and put away all the items she'd just bought. Isis promised her daughter she'd take her out grocery shopping after the deliveries were made. They were loading the dishwasher when there came a knock at the door. Ashanti went to answer it and found a delivery man there. Her new bedroom set was there. She thanked the delivery men for their help as she showed them where the bedroom set was going and where she wanted each piece.

As the bedroom set was being brought in, the delivery guys from the first thrift store arrived with the living room Ashanti had purchased. Ashanti came out of the kitchen to show the delivery guys where she wanted each piece to go. She thanked them as well for all their help. All the plates, bowls, coffee cups, and silverware were in the dishwasher ready to be washed. Once the delivery guys were done moving furniture into the apartment and set where Ashanti wanted each piece to go, Ashanti tipped the movers and thanked them again for all their help. The next thing was going to the grocery store to stock up on the essentials. Isis grabbed a cart and Ashanti grabbed a cart when they arrived. Isis told her daughter that she could do more specific shopping later and that they were just getting the bare minimum so she could start cooking for herself when she got all her boxes from her house moved into the apartment. They carefully walked around the grocery store picking up items Isis thought were essential. Basic meats, veggies, milk, cheese, cleaning supplies, toilet paper, paper towels, spices, things of that nature. The carts were pretty full by the time they headed to the register to pay out. It took a while to unload Isis' vehicle and put away all the groceries. Ashanti thanked her mother for all her help. There was still one bedroom that needed to be furnished but Ashanti thought she could do that at a later date. The pair headed back to Isis' house so they could pack up all Ashanti's boxes into each of their vehicles and finish packing the last of her clothes.