4: Forced To Grow

"Mijo!"

"Hola, mama." Miles cried out in pain as she crushed him in a hug. Rio immediately flew away from her son, looking more than just concerned.

"What happened?!" She took turns looking between him and Gwen. "Wanna tell me why you're both glowing right now? Is she pregnant?"

"Mom!" Miles' face was on fire, Gwen had the audacity to merely look amused.

"I broke my arm, but there's uh..." He looked to Gwen who gave him a reassuring nod. One that reminded him his parents would always love him. "There's something I need to tell you. Promise me you'll listen?"

His mother looked concerned, angry, worried, but nodded nonetheless, beckoning them to come sit down.

His father was probably clearing up that robbery and all the paperwork that came with it, he wouldn't be home for a little while longer.

Once they finally got seated, Rio couldn't help but notice Gwen's hand shift over to her son's before Miles felt it and squeezed hers tightly.

"I'm uh. I'm Spider-Man, mama."

There was a moment of complete silence, the only noise being the ambient background of the city that never slept. A few more moments passed before Rio burst out laughing.

"That's! That's a good joke, Mijo." She wiped a tear, looking back at her son only to see him smiling awkwardly.

"Oh ¡Dios mío!, you aren't joking are you?" She slowly came to the realization.

Miles really hoped she wouldn't faint as he stood up from the couch, leaping onto the ceiling. As he stuck there he really believed his mother would pass out, but luckily she didn't.

Walking over as Miles dropped down from the ceiling, she pulled on his ear hard causing him to wince before she tugged him into another bear hug, being careful not to touch his injured arm.

"Letting you out in this big nasty world scares me enough, Mijo. How am I suppose to stay sane knowing you're out there every night doing...that?"

"It's like dad's work." He reasoned.

"But your dad is a grown man."

Miles felt a painful tug on his heart. How many people since he'd gotten his powers had told him he was just a boy?

"I'm growing up, mami. I've been doing great things for people."

Rio rested her head against her son's chest. "I know. I know. I just don't like how fast this world is making you grow up."

Gwen took the opportune time to speak up. "If it helps, Mrs. Morales. He's not alone."

She too, took to the ceiling quickly. "We're both sort of going through this together."

"Is that what's been going on? Why you appeared randomly through his window and told us you were going to find him?" She asked, Gwen could only nod.

"So which one of you wants to explain, from the start?"

That was the moment Captain Morales decided to walk through the door. He opened his mouth as if to announce his arrival but stopped when he saw Gwen standing upside down on the ceiling.

"H-Hey...dad..." Miles started, Jeff took one look at his suit revealed by his open jacket and hit the floor.

Running over, Miles picked up his dad easily before resting him against the couch.

When he woke, he was barely able to form a proper sentence.

"Just." Miles held his hand up. "Listen for a few minutes?"