I - The Abduction

Dukedom Adelbern has the largest territory in the Mainland island located in the northside of the island, separated from the capital by Forestworth. It had it all, fertile soil, abundant livestock and poultry, a mine that produced ruby, beautiful flatland scenery, grand castle, you name it.

The early Duke of Adelbern was granted the title of the duke and territory by no other than the King of Mainland. The early King of Mainland gifted the territory not only because the early Duke of Adelbern was his younger brother, but also his contribution in uniting small kingdoms in the island into one big empire.

After some generations, Albert Adelbern managed the territory for about 30 years. He was a wise duke, with two potential heirs from his arranged marriage with his wife, Diana Mainland, sister of the recent King of Mainland, Noah Mainland. Albeit arranged, their marriage was blissful, and it was envied by people from the empire. In his late years, he appointed his first son, Maximilian Adelbern, as the future duke. His youngest son, Maximus Adelbern, lately became a famous, rich, and successful travelling merchant in the Mainland. The late duke himself then relocated to a much warmer place in the Ravenlow territory in the southern part of the island with his wife.

Now, after the territory was managed by Maximilian Adelbern, the territory was developed further to the point that it had been the most sought out place to live and work, with prosperity tailing its name. He was called the ever wise and tactful duke, with accomplishments surpassing his own father. Apart from appointed as a duke in the tender age of 23, he also has an important job as a Minister of the Public Fund in the palace. 

But at this moment, the so-called duke, he, cowered under the beautiful violet eyes of his ex-wife, Edlyn Bellmore, while she was drinking herbal tea to neutralize the drug administered to her before she was brought by his knights.

"So," he flinched, "before I run from here and report you to the capital's knights, will you tell me what's happened here?" He could see that she was fuming inside, even though her tone and manner remained prim and proper.

"I brought you-"

"Abducted."

"Okay, abducted." He tried to yield, "and I'm sorry for your inconvenience, but I've got some information about your life being in danger." He tried to see her reaction. After there's no sign of visible anger, at least to him, he continued his words. "It's about your occupation as editor in Harbinger company."

"Ah, I see." Then she continued, "I understand your concern, your grace, but it doesn't necessary anymore."

Geez, he really didn't know about her at all, did he? "I know you feel uncomfortable around me after all we've been through. But I just want you to know that I'll always care about you, especially for your life."

He admitted that he didn't try to know more about her when they were married for only 6 months, and didn't even try to reach out to her after their divorce. Why did he still care about her after getting some reports about royal assets' embezzlement that branched through the company where she worked? He wondered as well.

"You don't need to worry about me, your grace. I'm managing everything perfectly, in my opinion."

"Perfectly enough to get you abducted?" Bloody hell, he didn't mean those words to come out of his mouth.

"Look, Maximilian, I appreciate your effort to bring me here and check on me. Although, I will appreciate it more if you can bring me back to my estate in the Capital." Oh God, how could he handle this?

"I know you really want to go back to your work, but I hope for the time being you will stay here. At least until a person responsible for the embezzlement gets caught. As you can see this is your old room, I hope you can enjoy your stay here. We will talk more about this on the morrow." But before he could fully get up, she suddenly got up as well.