IV - The Discussion

"Wow, Countess, I never know you had a self-defense classes before. It was so top-notch." She looked at the man who was sitting in the carriage beside her ex-husband, which she knew later was Maximus Adelbern, one of the most famous merchants in the Mainland. Albeit famous, only a few of people knew him in person as he only gave his service for some of the most influential person in the Mainland.

"I believe that you should introduce yourself first, Maximus." Her ex-husband uttered while one of his hands was still holding the thing between his legs and the other holding his left cheek. She felt slightly guilty as she was the one inflicted hurt to both parts, but she believed that he deserved it because kissing her without permission is a no-no for her.

"Sure. Allow me to introduce myself, Countess. My name is Maximus Adelbern, younger brother of Maximilian. Oh, you can call me Max. I prefer that. By the by, I'm sorry my parents and I didn't come to your wedding with my brother in the past. I was busy with some matters and my mother sought out medications for her body, you see. I hope you can pardon us for it."

"Nice to meet you, Max. By the by, how is the Duchess now?"

"She has already recovered and is rather feeling energetic lately, that's why I was expected to Ravenlow to check my mother's condition. But here we are."

"Ah I see. I'm sorry for delaying you with my own problem." She bend her back a bit to convey her meaning.

"No worries, Countess. Your presence is always welcome." Maximus winked before Maximilian kicked his shin.

"Hey, Brother! I thought we have a truce?!?"

Maximilian grunted. "The deal is over. Now get your pervy eyes out of the window before I will make you do it."

"So mean." 

A silence lingered for a while. She observed both brothers secretly. And while she could see the resemblance between the two, she could also see that both brothers were so different like day and night. Both had light brown hair and blue eyes. Albeit both characteristics were the same, her ex was the epitome of a devoted knight with short and neat hair, while his brother was the opposite with the long hair that was tied to the back. Maximus also had a bit of a stubble, compared to Maximilian who had shaved them clean. Also, the blue eyes Maximilian had was a few shades darker than what Maximus had. This was what made her thought that the overall appearance of Maximus was carefree and sunny type of guy while her ex-husband was like the dark and cold stormy night.

However, she can't be deceived by Maximus's looks. How one implied that he knew about the administration office of Secret Society? He could be one of the member, but he also could be one of the dangerous people. Now she had to be very cautious with her surrounding even more. Next she had to have a private audience with the man to unravel his agenda.

"Well now, where are we going, Brother? Mind if I buy something around here first? I am famished." 

"No. We're going home immediately. I've told Harlan to take care of the rest and you," Maximilian pointed his finger which rested on his left cheek at his brother, "have to explain everything later."

"Do I have to explain everything as well?" She dared ask him.

"... No."

"Why?"

"Because I know that you'd understand your circumstances as of now."

"I never knew you'd understand me so well." She tried to imbue her words with sarcasm.

He shrugged and placed his hands again to the both parts of his body that still hurt the most.

***