Chapter 23: The gray fur

I cannot stress the incredible pain that comes with losing who you are after you've been trying so hard to find what's been hidden behind your heart. Child save your map, for it could be lost sooner than expected-A lost moral.

I played with the little diamonds sown on the skirt I the dress. "ugh..." I sighed quietly to myself. I looked up to the sky and saw the orange and pink cascaded on the once blue sky. I shake my head and walk over to the roses.

I glide my hand through the bushes knowing a throne will hit my finger sooner or later. I felt a pain on the sides of my gums "Ow..." I said placing my finger on my gum. I felt something sharp "What the..." I looked at my hands and saw my nails turn to claws, my eyes grew wide, I threw my hands to my pits and looked at the sky, the moon was slowly rising and the sun was half way under the horizon.

I ran over to a metal door and looked at myself, my eyes were cat-like and crystal blue. I had wolf fangs and the tip of my nose was turning black. I pushed my hair out of the way and saw my ears were pointed now! My bottom lip quivered at the mere thought that "IM A WOLF!" I yelled. I heard running behind me. I did the only thing I could do, run away.

I pushed myself through the rose bushes feeling thorns hit my sides and arms and I ran to another building. It was the one that was destroyed during the fight. I took off the dress setting it down,-it's a gorgeous dress I'm not just gonna toss it I might need it later-I grabbed a shirt and some shorts from a broken dresser and ran into the woods still hearing someone running behind me.

I ran faster and faster until my only instinct was to get on all fours after a while when I no longer heard the running behind me I slowed down, out of breath, scared and thirsty. I heard water and walked towards it craving it's cooling goodness. I stuck my face in it and drank it. As I was taking a drink I look down to see a furry face. It... it was me... I was a gray wolf, my feet were white and my ears blonde.

I was scared when I had seen what was once my face. I fell back and began to breath heavily and scared I didn't know what to do and my vision was spinning! I couldn't breath I just... couldn't...brea--

*Few hours later*

"Jazzy!" A far away echo-like voice said. "Jazzy!" I began to open my eyes to a bright light and blurry vision presented itself. "D--Dylan?" I said my throat rough and dry. I saw a smile and he put a hand under my head and helped me to sit up.

I felt cold and gripped the thick blanket covering my body "I'm... I'm a human?" I asked myself as I saw my hand a hand again, not a paw. "Yeah, I found you by a creek." I put my hand on my forehead to make the throbbing stop. "Why did you run away? And what were you doing near a creek?" I tried to focus my eyes and regain my balance. "I uh, I was running away. I saw myself turning into..." I caught myself "Into?" He asked putting a hand on my shoulder.

I paused and thought about this, then I looked around-It was just Dylan-"I was turning into a wolf. Since Josh said my blood was never activated by my father I never received my wolf power. I guess once he bit me it started working..." I said squinting my eyes trying to put together all the pieces.

"I ran away cause I didn't know what else to do, everything was moving so fast and my only instinct was to run away." Dylan laughed and nodded "You're in the puppy phase, you're gonna be scared of just about everything!" He laughed. I stared at him as if he insulted my family. He cleared his throat "I mean, you're not gonna be use to your surroundings at first cause your hearing is gonna be sensitive and your vision will be faster than what you're use to." He explained as we began to walk back to the capital. "Well that's gonna be awesome..." I said sarcastically. "Don't worry that phase doesn't last long. I don't know why you shifted though it isn't a full moon." He scratched his chin. "Your adrenaline was probably pumping really fast causing you to shift." he explained as if trying to find out for himself.

"Look you need some rest, you've used up all your energy shifting and such. Go to bed and try to restore the energy you lost, I'll go to the library and see if I can find anything in the mean time you relax." He smiled putting his hands in his pockets.

He opened the gate and allowed me through. He walked me through the garden and I was just happy to be in his company even if it was silence. I yawned largely and my knees wobbled "I got you." Dylan whispered grabbing me up and carrying me inside the capital.

I fell asleep shortly in his arms. I was shaken awake when he placed me down and tucked me in bed. He kissed my forehead and whispered "Goodnight Jazzy-Roo." I smiled at the nickname and fell asleep hearing the door click close.