That's Just Cold

Catalina gasped when the cold water hit her face. She sat up straight and let the water drip onto the ground.

"Sorry, but you seemed a little overheated," Flame said innocently, holding what looked like a golden coconut shell in his mouth. Cat groaned and wrung out her hair. She did feel better though.

"Thanks, Flame. Thanks a lot," she told him, with only the slightest hint of sarcasm. "What's in there?" she asked, pointing to a large basket strapped onto his back.

"Ah," Flame said with a smile. "This is dinner. A little help here please." Catalina stood up, almost dry thanks to the extreme heat, and began to unstrap the basket. She didn't question where he may have gotten it; she was too hungry and hot to think that much. Besides, if she could communicate with a wolf, she assumed he was more than capable of procuring a basket of food.

Once the basket was off, she sat back down and opened it. It was full of oddly-colored fruits and some type of meat. She randomly selected some of the vibrant fruits and a small piece of the meat.

She recognized the golden fruit that was hanging on branches throughout the forest, but she had never seen any of the others. Being too hungry to care, she tried them all. Though she couldn't really name the flavors, they were the juiciest, tastiest fruits she had ever tasted.

"Mmm," she smiled with pleasure, "Where'd you get these?"

Flame, also enjoying himself, replied, "There's a garden near the edge of the forest. It's owned by some old witch, but I don't think she'll notice." Cat's eyes widened when she heard this. She hoped none of the fruit she had just consumed was cursed or enchanted.

She tried some of the meat Flame had brought and found it equally satisfying. "Wow, this is really good too."

"You like that? It's from a-"

Catalina cut him off. "I don't want to know," she said, not wanting her appetite ruined.

Once they had finished eating, Cat remembered the important thing she had forgotten. It hit her as suddenly as the cold water that had long since evaporated. "Oh no! Tabitha!" she exclaimed.

"Excuse me?" Flame asked sleepily.

"My friend. We came here together, but I was taken away." Cat stood up and began pacing beneath the golden trees.

"Don't worry," Flame yawned, laying his head on his paws. "We can look for her in the morning." Cat didn't try to argue because, in a matter of seconds, Flame was snoring softly. Catalina, feeling rested from her "nap" earlier, decided to walk around some before it got dark.