Chapter 1

"Murtasim mujhe lagta hai ab waqt a gaya hai ke tum apne mamu Jaan se kiya wada nibhao. [Murtasim, i think it's time to fulful the promise you made to your Mamujaan (maternal uncle)]"
Mrs Salma said to her son who was completely engrossed in work.

"Ma agar aap phir se meri aur Merab ki shadi ki baat kar rahi hain to main pehle bhi bol chuka wo mere liye Maryam jesi hai. Mamu Jaan se maine uski hifazat karne ka, uski dhaal banne ka wada kiya tha, Usse shadi karne ka nahi. [If your are talking about me and Meerab getting married. Then I have already told you she's like Maryam to me. I promised Mamujaan to protect her, to support her. Not to marry her.]" He replied without looking away from his lap top.

"Lekin tum ba khoobi jante ho ke wo yahi chate the. Aur Merab to tumhare marhoom babajaan ko bhi boht pasand thi. [But you know very well that'swhat he wanted. And your late father also liked her very much.]" She tried again.
"Aur meri bhi yehi chahat hai. [And Itoo wish for the same.]"

"Akhir usme kami kya hai. [At least tell me what do find lacking in her.]" She  exasperated when he didn't answer her.

"Wo boht achi ladki hai. Wo boht acha ladka deserve karti hai, mujhse bhi boht acha. Lekin iska matlab ye nahi ke hum shadi kar len. Wo mujhse 10 saal chhoti hai. Kya common hai hum dono main siwaye iske ke hum dono is khandan ke har fard se bepanah mohabbat karte hain. [She'sa very nice girl. And she deserves someone really special. Even better than me. But that doesn't mean we should get married. She's ten yearsyounger than me. What do we have common in our life except our love for this family." He replied shutting down his laptop.

"Wo tumhe pasand karti hai. [She likes you." Mrs. Salma desperately tried her last shot.

"Usne kaha apse? [Did she tell you herself?]" He asked with underlying frustration.

"Nahi, lekin ye baat kisi se chhupi nahi hai ke hum sab kya chahte hain. Usne kabhi koi aitraz Zahir nahi kara. To mujhe lagta hai ke usne tumhe dil hi dil me tasleem (accept) kar liya hai. [No, but it's not a secret what we all want. She never showed any objection. So I think she has accepted you in her heart." Mrs. Salma said.

"Aap ko lagta hai? Usne khud to nahi kaha na. Aur wo kya chahti hai ye main usse khud poochunga. [You think so? She never said that. Did she? And I willadk her myselfwhat does she she want." Murtasim left the room leaving his mother anxious behind him.

" Murtasim left the room leaving his mother anxious behind him

Meerab's pov