chapter 5

Murtasim had kept his promise of staying away from Meerab. Though Shahzain wasn't someone he can trust, but still he didn't try to stop their increasing closeness. He was worried about her after what happened on engagement day. But he cannot tell anyone about it because it will hurt Meerab's self respect. This was the first time he couldn't do anything to help her out of her trauma except for staying away from her. If it was only for him he would've called off this marriage. But the whole family was involved. The nikah was to take place next day. He hoped that his absence would heal her.

"Subah nikah hai or tum yahan muh latkae khade ho. Jao ja kar so jao. Subah jaldi uthna hai boht sare kaam hain." Ma said putting her hand on his shoulder. But he didn't move.

"Main ye shadi nahi karna chahta." Slipped from his lips before he could think about it.

"Kya aul-foul bak rahe ho. Subah shadi hai or tum ye bakwas kar rahe ho? Apni marzi se ha kari thi na tumne?" Her words were filled with shock and disappointment.

"Mujhe lagta hai me kuch ghalat kar raha hu. Shayad Maya ke sath zyadti kar raha hu. Usey wo muhabbat nahi de pauga jiski wo haqdar hogi ek biwi ki haisiyat se." He said sitting on the recliner. He felt cornered. It felt like a swamp the more he tried to get out of it, the more he was sinking.

"Shadi ka din jese jese qareeb ata hai is tarah ke khayalat aana fitri (natural) hain. Tum zyadah soch rahe ho. Jao ab so jao." She tried to gentlely calm his nerves down. How he wished to ask her to take care of Meerab, to keep an eye on her. To make sure she doesn't indulge in some stupidity. Because Meerab would never accept his care and advise again. And neither should she. She was right when she had asked him to go away from her life.

"Mujhe nahi pata. Ma, Main thak chuka hu." He said putting his hand on his eyes. There was a stabbing pain in his head. It was a genuine appeal to understand his plight. He was tired, mentally, emotionally and physically tired. He wished he could turn back the time to the night he agreed for this marriage.

"Jo bhi ho Murtasim. Tum Shahnawaz Khan ke bete ho. Maine tumhe ye tarbiyat nahi di ke tum apne qaul se pichhe hat jao. Tumhe humesha sikhaya hai ke khandan khud ki zaat se upar hai. Mujhe ummeed hai ke tum apne baap aur chacha ko is tarah zaleel nahi karoge zamane ke samne." Saying that she left his room.

He knew what he should do. He didn't even meant to talk about it to his mother. But he couldn't help himself. He never thought he would be feeling like this on his wedding day.

_________________________________________

Staying away from Murtasim was not a difficult task for Meerab. It was like he had disappeared from house after their last interaction. She had decided she would move back to Islamabad to her khala's place, once this wedding is over. It will be difficult to persuade her Phuppo. But she will do it. She thought with conviction. She was content because now she wasn't feeling so bad about this wedding. Maybe getting all her pain out had helped her. She just wished she hadn't humiliated herself like that. Or maybe it was because of the tablets for anxiety she had been taking.

Just two hours were left to nikah and Meerab was still not ready. Maryam had asked her to send her dress with the driver. Because Maryam had gone to parlour with Maya and she'll reach the hotel directly from there.

All the guests had left to their own place to get ready and the ones who came from outside were staying at hotel. So only Phuppo, Anwar uncle, Shahzain and Murtasim were left in the house with a few members of staff. Meerab was going to her room when she heard Shahzain talking on the phone from his room. She went in his room to tell him to get ready immediately as they were getting late but what she heard stilled her on the spot.

"I can give you all the details regarding this deal. All you'll have to do is to make sure that The Malik Enterprises make a quick move. I want you to make an announcement that you've snatched this deal from Khan Textiles today itself." He stopped to listen to the person on the other end. "Main kaun hu isse tumhe koi farq nahi padega. Lekin main kya bata sakta hu usse tumhe boht faida ho sakta hai. Agar tum meri shart par razi ho to batao."