Chapter 2 Malcolm

Chapter 2 Malcolm.

It's almost time for me to leave, the time being 8:49 when Jason walks through the train station. Followed by cops. They must not have taken him to the hospital, if they would have he wouldn't be here right now. I guess it wasn't fatal.  My heart constricts, and I breathe heavily. Shit. I can't get caught yet. I put my hood up and pull out my phone, 17 missed calls from Mom, and 10 from Dad. Ignore. Jason is screaming my name, causing a lot of commotion, everyone is staring at him with a face of disgust. He looks straight at me and points with his finger. "YOU!" he snaps, running towards me. 

I squeeze my hands nervously and hold back a sob. This is way too much for me. The cops grab his arm, stopping him from getting near. They tell him to calm down. He screeches, his voice cracking, "HE'S HERE, THAT'S HIM!" He is ravenous, clawing at the air, his legs kicking fast. The cops pull him out by his hair. I'm safe, I'm so, so relieved. I pull off my hood and sigh, putting away my phone. A hand taps my shoulder.

"Dude." It's a guy, about my age, with a hoodie, and dark-toned skin. His hair is in long braids, and his eyes are a very dark brown, almost black; he has a pair of dark-rimmed prescription glasses on. The guy points toward the entrance. "That was pretty weird, huh?" I nod at him and try to smile, it doesn't work.

"Yeah, that was kind of insane," I whisper, choking on my words.

"So, who are you?" He says, but then he shakes his head, his braids shaking violently, "I didn't mean that in any way, you don't have to tell me I was just wondering."

I chuckle, "You're cool man." I pause. Should I tell him my name, especially after that? I do. "Er, Dylan."

"Huh?" He raises a furry eyebrow at me.

"Oh, sorry, my name is Dylan." I flush a little at the mistake, and he puts out his hand.

"Malcolm." He smiles. I shake his hand. It is soft, yet firm, in a cool way.

"So, where are you heading today?" I ask him, trying to keep the conversation up, but also hoping to have a friend during this ride.

"Winchester." He says. I grin wildly, yes.

"Hey, that's where I'm going too!" I seem to be getting a little too excited, so I clear my throat.

He smiles back, "Cool man, wanna ride with me?" Of course, I do, so I tell him sure, just as the girl at the head table announces on the speakers that our train will be here now. We stand up and move towards the tracks. In silence, but not an uncomfortable one. I was just thinking about what to say when Malcolm drops his glasses. "Oh shit." He whispers, struggling to find them. How the hell did he manage that? The glasses were just on his face? I don't know, but he seems to be a klutz. I bend down and grab them for him. "Here." I bring them towards him, with my hands forward. He grasps my hand, missing the glasses, then tries again. He takes the glasses and pulls them on. "I'm so sorry." He whispers, his face flushed. I shake my head and give him a thumbs-up. "You good."

The train comes along the tracks a few seconds later, and we both hop into the last car. I wouldn't say our trains here are luxurious, there aren't many, but they are pretty nice. The car we chose is empty, with a few cushioned seats on the sides and in the back. Each is accompanied by a table. There is a snack bar in the next car and a bathroom in ours. But that is all. See? Not luxurious. Malcolm chooses the last pair of seats in the back, "In case more people come." He says and makes himself comfortable. 

I sit comfortably next to him in the same booth, though there is a seat just across from us. He takes his hoodie off and sets it down, revealing his Adidas shirt. It's pretty good quality, with nice, tight-fitting features. Shows off his abs. I did not just think that. I lean forwards in the seat, and pull out my phone, ignoring the calls from my family. They won't be hearing from me much anyways. I open Instagram and check my feed. A funny video of cats shows up, so I click on it. A cat fills my screen, clawing playfully at its brother, and his brother smacks it on the head, I chuckle.