Chapter 4

Karano was out of it for the rest of the day, and most of the next. Wesley had known what they were planning, though he was surprised that they had done it so soon, but they had been prepared. Hazel wasn't one to go to innocent humans for blood, preferring to drink that of animals when needed instead. But that didn't mean they didn't have access to human blood.

Van, a middle aged man who was one of their seasonal members, had a job with Quest Diagnostics, a clinic that handled a lot of medical tests and drew a lot of blood samples for patients and their employers. Whenever it was safe, he would draw an extra vial from the patient, who usually never knew how much was needed, and pocket it for Hazel, and now Karano. So, when Karano awoke, and was famished, they just let her suck down twenty vials of blood.

After that, she lay back on the bed with a smile.

"Mami, this feels amazing," she whispered to Hazel, who was laying in the bed with her. "I think I could use that big snake as a jump rope now!"

"I know, I feel it too. I think I can hear whispers in my head, would that be my wolf?"

"It should be, yeah. It will get louder and louder over the next few days, and then we'll be able to talk with our link, or with other pack members," Karano explained. "The full moon is in less than a week, and I'll help you shift then."

Hazel smiled as she leaned in and kissed her wife. "I can't wait to meet my wolf and see what she looks like!"

"I'm sure Wesley can take a picture of her for you and add her to the photo album." That was the tradition. Wesley took a picture of them all, and all the wolves were in a thick photo album that had been updated through the years so they could look back on all the members, past and present.

"What do you think she'll look like?" Hazel wondered breathlessly.

Karano shrugged as she pulled Hazel into a hug. "I have no idea. Everyone predicted mine would be brown, or a mottled white and grey. I don't know how the moon goddess assigned each wolf to their partner, but Eowyn has been wonderful to have."

"Thank you, Karano," came Eowyn's whispered reply in her head. "And thank you for giving our mate a wolf. I can't wait to run with her!"

"Eowyn, do you know what her wolf will look like?" Karano wondered to her other half. She got a chuckle in response, but didn't know if Eowyn was joking, or serious. "Stop playing games!"

"I don't know what she'll look like, but I know she'll be as beautiful as Hazel," Eowyn finally replied. Yeah, she had to sweet talk her after leading her on.

"Eowyn doesn't know either, she just knows that your wolf will be as gorgeous as you are."

Hazel snorted with laughter. "She just doesn't want to get on our bad side!"

"Damn right, she's gonna want to do some naughty things with your wolf, mami." Karano leaned in for a kiss, just as there was a soft knock at the door to their cabin. "Someone has great timing!" Standing up, she walked over to the front door, opening it to see the smiling faces of Eliza and Jack.

"Look, look!" Eliza held her hand up, showing off the new snakeskin bracelet that Freddie had made for her. Jack had his wrist hiding behind his back, but he was still smiling too. The bracelet looked great, and Freddie had added some cool looking beads, and an adjustable buckle so it would be able to fit her when she was older. They assumed that Jack's was the same, but he didn't seem to want to share his new present with them just yet. But they also knew he would once he got over his shyness.