Chapter 2: Lose lose

Our morning recovery session is more relieving than I had expected. The light jog and simple touches on the ball are reassuring and remind me of my love for futbol. When it's over and we're changed into our Spain track suits and dawning our VIP lanyards, Gavi, Pedri, Alex and I say goodbye to our teammates and head over to the stadium where Argentina is playing Japan to meet up with the girls.

We take a back entrance to avoid fans and slide into the VIP section where the girls are waiting.

"Hey," Alana says, enveloping me in a hug as soon as she sees me.

"Hi," I say back, the smile on my face growing. It's unreal to me that she's even here. After that summer where I moved to Barcelona and grew a bit distance from her and Evie, my two bestfriends, we kept in touch as she fulfilled her dream to go to the East coast and study marine biology. I visited her a few times over the years during our breaks, often bringing with me a group of people from Barcelona, including Gavi, Alex and Lily. Right before coming to the World Cup with us she graduated with her degree and plans to follow a job offer and move out to Australia as soon as she has everything figured out.

When we pull out of our hug I move on to Lily, standing on her other side. I greet her with a hug as well.

"We never got the chance to tell you how well you played yesterday," Lily says. I smile at her comment, noting how I haven't seen them since, but both her and Alana sent me separate congratulatory texts.

I shuffle over to give Sophia a hug, even though I know she probably only wants to see Pedri---who's waiting behind me along with the other guys.

"You did play very well," Sophia says with a sweet smile. Ever since I met her two years ago that is how I would describe her: sweet. She's a delicate kind of pretty with her pin-straight blonde hair framing her face and permanent pink tint to her cheeks.

"Thanks," I tell her before passing her and taking a seat three away from her that way Gavi and Pedri have somewhere to sit. Alex has remained close to Alana and will probably want to sit next to her.

When I sit down Pedri pulls his girlfriend into a hug, the soft smile never leaving his lips as Sophia embraces him back. "¿Qué hay de mí, mi alma? (What about me, my soul)" he asks. "No complements about yesterday's game?" He sits down next to her, allowing Gavi to slide past him and sit down in between us.

Sophia's smile lights up her face. "You played amazing my love." She leans over and pecks him on the lips.

Gavi turns to me. "Have I praised you enough about your goal?" he asks, a teasing note in voice. Ever since Pedri started bringing Sophia around we have had the time of our lives teasing them for how cutsie they are.

I roll my eyes and lean forward to talk to Lily. I get her attention before asking, "Is everything going well press wise? Is there anything I need to do or post?" Lily has remained my PR manager despite the offers she received to move up to more important positions within the club. I'm glad she decided to stay with me---even though I told her it was probably better for her to move up---since she has handled pretty much all of my online presence and taken a lot of stress off of me.

She shakes her head. "Don't worry, everything is good and taken care of. Focus on playing, I've got everything else handled."

I thank her before sitting back in my seat. Unintentionally I let out a big breath of air.

"Everything alright?" Gavi whispers, leaning in so nobody else hears.

I nod. "I'm fine, a little stressed."

He takes one of my hands resting on my thigh and intertwines it with his own. "It's okay, we'll get through this together."

"So who are we cheering for?" Alana speaks up, asking no one in particular. Everyone stares at her.