Chapter 7: Stepping Stones

Pablo's POV:

I got up late this morning, pretending to be sleeping in when Isla went for breakfast with Alana and Lily. She invited me to tag along, but I didn't want to go so I pretended to need to rest. In reality I have much more important things to do this morning.

When I'm done getting dressed I call Frenkie, hoping he's not busy and will pick up. The Netherlands have been eliminated from the World Cup, but Mikky, Addie and him are sticking around to watch the rest of the matches. Most players do, seeing as the regular seasons don't start up again until later.

"Hello?" he says as he picks up the phone.

"Hey Frenkie," I say, "it's Pablo."

"I know, it's just, you don't usually call me." He's right, I prefer texting. Except with Isla because she prefers calling and she always gets her way.

"Are you busy right now?" I ask him, picking up my wallet and putting it in the back pocket of my jeans. Wouldn't want to get locked out of our room when I'm supposed to be napping.

"Not really," he says, "Mikky, Addie and I are slowly but surely getting ready to go out for the day. There's a zoo nearby I thought we'd checkout. Is there something you need from me?"

"Not from you," I tell him, "from Mikky."

"From Mikky?" he asks.

"It's about Isla."

"Oh?"

I slide a sweater over the tv shirt I'm wearing, seeing as it's a bit cold in this hotel. "You guys are in the same hotel as us right?"

"Yeah," he says, "same floor I think. Room 312."

"Okay, I'll be over in like two minutes if that's okay."

"Yeah, see you soon."

I grab my stuff and head out of the room, triple checking I have my room card. When I knock on Frenkie's door he opens it with Addie in his arms. She smiles when she sees me.

I smile at her, tickling her belly. She giggles.

"Hey Gavi," Frenkie says, letting me in. "Sorry it's a bit chaotic in here."

I step inside the room and it's silent. The only 'chaos' I can spot is their suitcases open on the bed and clothes unfolded. Mine and Isla's suitcases always look like that along with the clothes we leave draped over the back of the couch until we have people over.

As I pass by Frenkie, Addie reaches for me and I take her into my arms as Frenkie hands her over before he goes off to the bathroom.

I see Mikky sitting on the couch and I go join her, setting Addie on my lap. I bounce my knee to keep her entertained.

"How are you?" I ask, remembering how she's pregnant with their second child.

"Good," she says. "And how about you?"

"Good." I nod a few times. To be fair I don't hang out with Isla's friends without her ever, she's usually a barrier breaker.

"You wanted to talk to me?" Mikky asks.

"Yeah, about Isla."

"Is she okay?" she asks.

"Yeah," I answer quickly, "she's good. We figured some stuff out last night and we're good. We're ready to start our future together now."

Mikky looks at her daughter, then at me. Her jaw drops. "Is she pregnant?" she exclaims.

"Is who pregnant?" Frenkie asks, peeking his head out of the bathroom.